FP&A Salary

I looked at glassdoor, but the salaries for FP&A analysts at big firms are kind of all over the place (average of $89k, ranging from $50-100K). Can someone narrow this range for a FP&A analyst (~5 years of experience) in major east coast cities like Boston/NYC/DC? I’m just curious. Management consultants with very general quant skills with ~5 years experience make much more (my friends/peers make $120k+ at EY, PWC). So either the glassdoor data is biased, or I have a very inflated view of what FP&A analysts know/do.

I know you asked for east coast, but thought I’d chime in anyway. I’m from the south, and we pay our entry level guys $80k-$90k. Five years of experience would be about $110k-$120k; however, depending on your work experience it could easily be higher. That being said, I’m at a mature growth company, and we’re known for paying above average. Your salary is really going to depend on your role in FP&A. Some FP&A guys are involved in firm valuation, while others may work with WC or budgets.

Is FP&A more accounting? So CPA instead of CFA?

No idea on the pay but I know hedge funds and PE funds poach them from time to time…Say you’re an FP&A at Tesla and the hedge fund is a tech focus fund…You have valuable information about the company and the industry. You’re an insider. Also, because you have an accounting background, you will be very proficient with 10Ks and other SEC filings and proforma.

The finance portion of the job at hedge fund can be taught in couple weeks…give or take a few days

But either way, I heard FP&A is a lucrative career and quite dynamic as well.

Did you try asking for a raise? You should try asking.

This. You help with corporate strategy, and M&A. You make good contacts too because you’re routinely (at least at my company) work with the CFO and Board of Directors. It really allows you to become an expert in your industry. After a couple of years in an FP&A role, you should be able to issue research reports (if that’s what you want to do) and you should be proficient in bottom-up modeling in your industry.