Started new "dream" Job and I hate it. What to do?

It is funny, I checked my post in this forum and in the last one I was asking on how to find a new job and here we go again. I am based in Europe so I think some stuff may differ from US.

I worked in a small finthec company for 2.5 year. Job was more technical than finance and without any real opportunity for development. I was based in a cheap location (think Poland, Slovakia, etc.) and the salary was good enough compare to national average but bad compare to countries abroad. When I decided to quit I apply to several jobs with no luck, I think mainly because of the location of my previous company and the fact that being smaller is basically unknowned.

After lot of networking, I was able to find a dream job. The job in itself is not amazing but is a big company in Finance. When I received the offer I accepted it also if it was for less money than my previous job and just for an analyst position. I thought it was worth to make a sacrifice because of future opportunities. I had to change country to start this new job. I am still based in a cheap country with a low salary compared to Europe.

I started just one month ago but I hate my job. I realized that the opportunities in my current companies are not good, it is impossible to move to better countries and I am not learning as much as I want. I was thinking about talk about this with my manager but I think there are too many issues for it to be solved so I am thinking about changing job again.

Now, my question: what should I do in my situation? I want to find a job in Finance in a country with high salary and I don’t care about much else to be honest. Do you think I should suck for 1 year in my current job to then have a promotion and apply as an associate+ more experience or I should already start applying now and be honest with the interviewer about the fact that I don’t like the position and I prefer to change right now instead of wait?

Thanks for your suggest,

Paul

When all else fail… go for MBA. You actually have fintech background so that’s kinda interesting. Give us more details on what your current role is and why do you hate it?

Thank you for your feedback klaudnine. Sorry if I don’t give too many details but I don’t want to be identified.

My current role is in Operation. I think it is quite a niche so I won’t mention the precise details. I don’t like it for several reasons:

1)as I said I accepted a lower salary compare to my previous one. With this salary, it is impossible to have the lifestyle that I want.

2)I did not realize how much bureaucracy there is in big companies. I don’t think I will have any raise or promotion before two years, no matter my previous experience

3)the job in itself would be ok. However, team is splitted in two parts, one in London and one in my city. In London the “real” cool job is done, here is more the tedious tasks. Now, I have very much the sensation to be in a cost center whereas in my previous job, even if it was also in a multinational company with an office abroad, I was feeling more equal with my London colleagues, i.e. same tasks, etc.

4)I realize that I am becoming old and not gaining anything by leaving abroad in monetary terms etc. so I realize that if I am doing this type of sacrifices, I may as well work in a rich country.

MBA are not so common here in Europe and I would rather continue to work than go back to study. My big dilemma is if this company that I work for can already be a boost for my cv even if I stay just for one month or if I should suck and stay longer to make it appear good to next exmployers.

Well, you definitely don’t want to suck AND stay longer. Definite career-killer.

unfortunately a lot of global banks are tapping up eastern europe for their cheap labour and technical skills… It is unlikely you will be able to get a higher paying job with more interesting function as those would be rare in the local economy. You should definitely continue working as unemployment doesn’t help anyone, and continue to apply for jobs in wealthier countries. I am assuming your country is not in the EU otherwise you would have moved already?

I have strong doubts about this. My point is that my previous company is small so nobody has ever heard ot it.

My new company is huge. I have no doubts that my cv will be boosted by it. My doubt is if it is better to suck for 1 year to say “I work for xxx” or if I can already change job now and try to “use” their name.

I am from EU but not a rich country. Unemployment is not an option, I agree. What I am wondering is if it is better go wait for 1-2 years, get a position as associate and then apply to wealthier countries or if I should leave straight away.

I think the biggest benefit of working in a big bank for 1-2 years is to write its name on your CV. I stayed one month in my current company so I don’t know if it can be already considered valuable to recruiters or if I should stick a bit longer.

I don’t know how it works in the Europe… but generally speaking, I would not look favorably on people that leave or are looking to leave their jobs a month after starting regardless of circumstances.

If you leave in a month… putting in the big name bank stating you worked there for 1 month probably hurts you more the helps you. I would suggest sticking around for a year at minimum.

Perhaps Franky, who hails from some unknown village buried in the Baltics or Eastern Europe somewhere and where all the women wear babushkas while cooking up 30-liter pots of goulash, can weigh in on the Europe vs. US job market outlook? He is my go-to guy when I need to know what’s happening. What a country!