Criminal Record

Ill be transparent because I do need advise and opinions or if someone can share what they know/ learned or heard through their experiences in the past.

2 years ago in the winter was at this lounge/ bar. Came out for a smoke with this chick but was freezing so decided to have a smoke in the car. Turned on vehicle for the heater. Someone approaches me half way through and turns out to be a cop. Does breathalyzes me. Fail. Didnt get booked for intoxication but slammed me for an “over 80 mg/BAC”, which happens to be a technical charge. It’s a thing because I had a one two drink and the key was in the ignition. Unfortunately got convicted. It’s a summary conviction (not indictable which are for serious offences). Driving suspension and prohibitions and all that.

During that time, was working at a brokerage. No repercussions. Then left Canada for personal reasons and came back early this year. First time applying with a conviction.

Now does anyone of you have any idea/ experience or have heard stories of either a.) this won’t affect my chances because it’s a driving related matter (though criminal) or b.) financial institutions dont give a F and will ding me for any and every thing considered remotely criminal?

I can understand why a delivery position will turn me away…

Thanks

Not sure about Canada but I’ve never heard of anyone getting dinged for a DUI in the states. I got one in college. Never came up during interviews.

Don’t get another though.

ofc not. i try to stay away from anything remotely trouble.

My friend who works in retail as an associate selling phone plans got one and according to him anything related to driving will screw you and nothing negative happened to him cuz it was unrelated.

Im yet to find out (if offered) what happens. whether it shows up in the background check and they ignore it or they find out and discuss it… or it doesnt show up at all…

^Generally, again here in the States, if you’ve made it to the point where they’re doing the FBI background check on you, you’re golden unless you got caught killing puppies or something.

Edit: Of course, I had to put it down on applications so they knew about it beforehand. But it never came up. I guess a bigger issue would be not disclosing it and then having it come up during a background check. Which it most certainly will.

Yeah, and I think at this point with the criminalization of everything, almost everyone has something. Yet they still need to hire people.

HR just needs to check the box that they investigated and you are not (as far as they can tell) a drug trafficking mob boss.

well at least a “convicted” drug trafficking mob boss :wink:

Eventually only time will tell I guess…

Was this in Canada? Do they do any sort of expungement where you can take a course and it gets settled? Anyhow, so I had a DUI type thing that got settled somehow if you take a class (never considered a conviction) and then essentially a laundry list of unrelated misdemeanors from just generally bad behavior. No common theme or rhyme or reason, just systemic failure to consider laws when plotting my course of action <25 year old. Additionally, the circumstances are kind of hazy but I got let go from two contract hire jobs when I was very early in my career, once for alcohol. Technically it may not be the same as getting fired but in spirit you could argue a case for similarity. It’s a bit fuzzy (but probably not that fuzzy). Anyhow in theory I never disclose anything. I’ve seen some pretty egregious stuff on resumes and backgrounds that gets through, especially for entry level jobs. If they say something (never did) I’d just act confused and either get the job (most likely) or not and move on to the next.

Nothing wrong with STL’s approach, just giving you a dissenting opinion.

Right, ideally it’s best to get a settlement, not a conviction. I had some little thing long ago, and I did 40hr pointless community service (hey, fixing parks in the summer is kinda fun!), upon completion they agreed to “remove” it, BUT it is still there if they dig.

Also lawyers are your friend! So fast forward, and I’m in the final round basically hired, and HR calls me in (in person, not good). Sure enough it’s this old bs “sorry but we need to ask…”. No need to be rude or defensive, I just said “oh that has been resolved, you really need to talk to my attorney to understand the details, I’ll have him call you.” Dude calls her and I assume is like “that has been resolved, you shouldn’t have even been able to SEE that, if you touch one hair on his handsome head we’ll sue the f- out of you.” Because hired, never heard about it again.

Of course in my case they at least talked openly with me! But they could discriminate against you and you’d never know why you didn’t get hired, and that sucks. Conviction status probably doesn’t help.

In vegas coke possession is a felony! But for first offenses it can be expunged!

Image result for TONY MONTANA COKE gif