Oxford MBA

As much as I grimace at some of career questions posted here, I want to get some feedback on my current situation, which may be slightly different than some of the typical CFA career paths here.

Background:

• Bachelor Degree in Finance from Top 10 US Business School
  • CFA charterholder (3/3 in 18 months just to brag)
  • 6 years progressive FP&A experience (4 promotions)
  • US Citizen currently working in Europe

Situation:

• Accepted to Oxford after to moving to Europe for promotion, deferred admission until 2019
  • Current compensation in excess of mean starting salaries out of Oxford
  • Long term career aspirations of being CFO in US (not with current employer), short term location is not as important, but US preferred

Question:

• Attend Oxford with short-term ramifications (tuition, salary loss, potentially a lower starting salary compared to current) but with long-term benefits (Oxford name recognition, MBA ‘requirement’ for CFO, network) or continue down current path with no MBA?

FP&A is a joke… hit the toilets.

Given your resume, Oxford would only help in the networking department…which shouldn’t be discounted. But, you sound like you have your stuff together enough to move forward without it. To Oxford I’d say…

Image result for gladiator thumbs down gif

I concur especially given your salary level, opportunity cost and value-add from a prestige perspective as you already have a top 10 US on your resume.

“Long term career aspirations of being CFO in US (not with current employer), short term location is not as important, but US preferred”

This should really answer the question. Do your MBA where you want to end up long term (or something that is well recognized). As well regarded as Oxford is, I don’t think it helps you get that CFO job stateside.

Oxford Said is ranked around #50 (the one built in the train station car park).

why?

To add some context I chose Oxford as I am looking for a one-year program (actually my top pick is Cambridge, but I did not apply given my swift relocation to Europe). I am not willing to forgo two years of salary at this point and I am also not looking to make a drastic career change.

The other option I have been contemplating is finding a one-year program stateside (most likely Kellogg or Mendoza).

Insead or LBS for europe. Kellog trumps both.

If you want to be a CFO in the US you will nine times out of ten likely need to work in corporate lending/syndications and/or have your CPA with Big Four experience and some internal audit experience. Much better and more pragmatic to check that off earlier in your career. It’s rare to see someone in a good CFO role without that. Something to consider.

If you want to work in the US after business school, you should probably get an MBA from a US school.

I’m assuming the CFO ambition is more of a soft goal. If you get another good job, I’m sure that would also be ok with you…