Bored...Thinking of part-time consulting

So, while I continue on the fun journey that is unemployment, I’d like to occupy my time since there is only so many jobs in the geography I want that I can apply to during the day.

That being said has anyone used consulting P2P websites such as Upwork, Toptal, PeoplePerHour, to advise on a part time basis? I’ve read very mixed reviews about Upwork but it seems to be biggest.

As always, input is appreciated!

I’ve looked at Freelancer as an employer. You will be competing against people with much lower costs of living than yourself, so you should gear yourself towards activities that being fluent in English is a significant barrier to entry.

do you collect unemployment?

edit: did you share why you quit/were fired?

Nah, I do not collect. It’s like 250 dollars max a week regardless what your income is, ie a joke.

I don’t believe so, I was let go on paper, but I caused it on purpose via insubordination in an e-mail that my boss, bosses boss, and senior management were copied on.

Basically, I had enough PTO built up to go to Asia for 3 weeks but was denied the request for really no reason at all so I challenged it and insinuated I was going anyway. Pretty closed door policy in the three years I was there, no mentorship, and declining culture generally so it was time to move on.

You’ll make more money signing up to drive a Uber car than you would on those websites.

You were competing in a financial consulting capacity with these foreigners? No offense to them, but I think if a company or individual in the US is looking for something like cash flow modeling, accounting advice, or similar, the last thing they want to do is waste time trying to organize collaborative effort that takes way longer than it should because the person they hired can’t speak English. Could be wrong though, never done this before

My friend who is a tech recruiter with Amazon out in Seattle told me this morning those websites mostly suck so I think I am seeing a theme here

There are Indians who employ other Indians and all they do every day is build cash flow models, do accounting, etc. A couple of my friends on the sell side have Indians build their models for them. It’s very common at the bigger banks from what I hear. They even employ internal teams of Indians to do stuff that associates used to do.

I’m glad that the worst trade deals in the history of trade deals, maybe ever, are being fixed as we speak.

There are many freelance jobs sites where you can post jobs and request for new service. You can find them based on many tags like a type of service, location, and other categories.

the worst trade deals ever in the history of the Solar System on many many beautiful and subjective criteria with evidence so high the top of the stack literally touches the lunar surface. The stack is also the tallest thing on Earth.

Bush really did us a bad with that worst deal…Really set the tone with Made In China Movement.

Then our government signed the Prescription Drug Act to help his fellow seniors at a cost of billions then went on to sign the tax refund program for the top two tier tax payers to help his fellow rich friends and dubbed it Supply Side Expansion.

BUT now that trade deal is being “fixed” I am sure our GDP will skyrocket to 5% per annum and our average salary will jump to an astounding 9% every year and we will be the leading producer of ozone, co2, and all the other good stuff. We will also allocate more money away from science and education and more into military because them scientists are phonies and crooks saying global warming is human cause…Heck last December it was 15 degrees in NYC and them scientists fail to realize Global Warming was invented by our foe Chynaa.

We will have 100 story apartment buildings in every state and city and coal fired plants in every major city and town. Our schools will be safer because although we are cutting their budget, they will use the remaining money to arm teachers. The teachers in 2018 are not only teachers but also protectors of our children for a mere average pay of $40k a year!!! Deal of the Century!!