Switching to finance

Hello All,

I have a masters degree in mechanical engineering (and having 3 years of experience in the engineering field), I passed the level I of the CFA exam in June 2018 and I am currently studying for the level II. From what I have learned the past month, it is very difficult for me to enter the financial/investment industry as all jobs require past experience in a similar field? Will passing the level II gives more advantage in entering this field?

Thank you.

There are certainly entry level positions no matter what area of finance you want to pursue. Are you looking to get into research? I would consider your engineering background a positive. Analysts and engineers tend to think a lot alike.

As to the CFA, the standard answer is yes it’ll help but it’s not a golden ticket.

No, passing CFA level II wont’ give you much advantage. However, if you willing to start from the bottom, your engineering background can help land some entry level analyst role (crunch data and excel sheets)

Might be OK… 3yrs is short time. I did Mech-Eng at uni, but went straight into Banking. Bankers love engineers…

Look for entry level roles and maybe grad programs… you might get a shot

banking with MS in mechanical engineering??

Forget banking which is glorified excel monkey. With your degree, you must be strong in mathematics and coding. You can join quant funds or quant divisions at large banks as entry level. Entry level here is 100k base and bonus can range upwards of 100% at quant funds.

I will try to get a shot at banking! Thanks for your comment

The thing is that I am based in Lebanon, we do not have like large investment banks with quant divisions. I will be looking for an opportunity in UAE in that sector, hopefully I can get something.

Thank you.

I am willing to get into research, i am applying for jobs in the research field here in Lebanon, but I am not getting any positive feedback (not even an interview).

Thank you.

I will try to get a shot at banking! Thanks for your comment

I am willing to get into research, i am applying for jobs in the research field here in Lebanon, but I am not getting any positive feedback (not even an interview).

Thank you.

The thing is that I am based in Lebanon, we do not have like large investment banks with quant divisions. I will be looking for an opportunity in UAE in that sector, hopefully I can get something.

Thank you.

Image result for the office what line of work you in bob gif

What irks me is that a banker would probably make close to the same amount of money as an entry level quant…here where I am located anyway.

Yeah maybe but the banker is working until 12am everyday and clocking in 90 hours a week every week. In the meantime, the quant goes home at around 7pm. Plus the banker makes base of 80k and bonus of 40k in nyc at large banks.

the entry level at quant makes 100k base and 100% bonus or at least 40% bonus of course the quant has actual skill set - coding.

gist of my post is that entry quant in NYC makes 50% more with 35% fewer work hours…