Career options after passing CFA Level 3 in Mumbai, India ?

I just passed my CFA Level 3 and wanted to understand which finance roles value having a CFA in Mumbai. I also hold an MBA in Finance from a US university and have 4 years work experience in Supply Chain Consulting. I am particularly interested in those finance roles where it is easier to break in for someone who does not have any Finance experience.

Also any advice on how to break into buy side Equity Research / Asset Management roles ? How difficult is it and what are some good roles to start with to eventually break into buy side Equity research / portfolio management

In my experience it may obviously not be impossible, but difficult for sure

I’m finding it tough to break into these fields after L-3. And I do work in finance, in Institutional Banking space. so yes

What kind of folks are successful who break into buy side ? Is it MBAs from IIMs or folks who have lots of experience from the sell side ?Just curious what are they exactly looking for ? A friend of mine who is a CA and a CFA has been trying since the past 1.5 years without any success. Let me know your thoughts

May I suggest following the same path as Prince Akeem? (He struck gold in Queens)

#YourResultsMayVary

Hate to say this- buts It’s a sad reality of this so called “most coveted” designation!! At best, its a nice to have, with no brand factor that could really differentiate one candidate from another…

I am still amazed (and i include myself) as to how many people continue to get sucked into pursuing this BS designation

Its creating some pretty good employment for these so called “master instructors”!!

I wouldnt say BS designation. I mean it technically is the next best alternative to someone who didnt get an undergrad in finance, i.e. like my self who graduated in Economics and Intl Relations.

It’s so far from a “BS designation” it isn’t funny. Is it a guarantee to a particular job? No. But if one were to spend half as much time applying and networking once they get the charter as they did when they studied for it, my money is on them getting into the field they want.

Hi,

The thing with a MBA from a good bschool is obviously placements. And most of the guys there are already pursuing the CFA and try to clear l1 and if possible l2 heading into placements.

Else got to have loads of experience in the sell side and then can think of getting to actually managing money. That takes years… Eventually it’s the work ex that matters. If nothing atleast start analysing companies and handle a model portfolio.

Also unrelated but do try and learn a coding language. It seems to be becoming a common requirement in many fin related jobs.

Call center

lol. Is that what you got after passing Level 1

Interesting which coding languages are useful ? Are you learning any ?

Ouch…alas, CFA indeed is turning out to ________ (Fill in the blanks!!). This is one of those times where i feel, “happy to proven wrong” (someday)

https://news.efinancialcareers.com/ca-en/244158/is-the-cfa-charter-worth-it

Unfortunately, the CFA designation is nothing more than a checkbox…

The marketing guys at CFA are truly brilliant. Sure, there are a few CFA charters who work at buy side - mutual funds - at JPM, BOA, GS…and the CFA would jump on that like no other…But if you look closely, these guys went to top20 undergrad and most also have MBAs…CFA was just a cake walk and an afterthought long after they have established themselves.

I come from HF and now in PE…I almost never see CFA in my field…just MBAs and undergrads from top undergrads…heck, I don’t even write my CFA in either my email sig or biz card…

Having said that, it is not a BS designation, BECAUSE I learned so much from the process…Sometimes the process is the key…Like making love to the hottest girl you met in the club…it’s not the end that matters, it’s the process