Interview Oil & Gas

I have a phone interview with HR on Monday for an O&G/mining/industrials company. Any advice on questions they might ask? I don’t know how technical to get with HR. Should I be talking about the projects and technology they have going on?

Job description says:

• Financial modeling to support M&A and growth
  • Recommendations for greater efficiencies
  • Reporting for KPI
  • Regional / cross-regional business development activities
  • Prepare promotional material for new and existing clients

Have you checked glassdoor?

Yes. Most were engineer reviews. There was one Business Analyst but it didn’t say much.

That sucks. Good luck… If I was you, I’d just be familiar with the industry (if you aren’t already). You moving to Houston?

There’s a really good oil and gas industry primer on the CFAI website.

probably just going to be behavioural and experience discussion… prepare your work experience stories

Position is in Toronto. It’s a private company in Australia.

Oil comes from dinosaurs. Be sure to bring this up.

Seems like there are fewer dinos now than ever, which explains why they aren’t making any more oil. As gossippy as they can be, that recipe is one secret they’d never divulge!!

How long do people usually wait to follow up?

So I had the interview with HR on Mon Sept 17 and said that she will make the recommendation to the hiring manager that he speak with me.

She followed up on Fri Sept 21 and asked for my transcript.

I then followed up Wed Sept 26 to ask for an update and she told me I was still in the process and that interviews have not started yet but will get back to me.

Till today I have not received an answer. Am I SOL? This is a corporation around 2,000 employees and I know the processes tend to be slow. At this point, I don’t want to follow up because it’ll seem desperate (but I am).

Can I get at least some serious responses? No “dinosaurs lived millions of years ago. You have to wait that amount as well”. kthxbai

Do you have anything novel to share? If not I’d just wait. Did you send your thank you card?

They aren’t going to speed up the process. I had one multinational firm go silent for over a month. Something to do with interviews occurring right before the annual budget process. Sucks

^ haha I’m just excited about this job, that’s all. I guess everyone goes through this. And yes, I did send a thank you email summarizing our conversation.

Email bro? Cmon!

You send cards by mail? I heard that was too tacky. Who else on AF sends cards? Also my handwriting is sh i t.

But if you send a card, what do you write on it?

I try to send five cards by mail a week. I’ve been slacking lately