FP&A ->Asset Management?

A Director at an asset management firm reached out to me and was asked if I would be interested in an analyst position. It would require me to relocate. From what I understand, I’d be responsible for doing research on equity investments, and alternative investments… I’m a bit confused because you don’t hear many stories of people going from FP&A to Asset management, so I’m kind of wondering if this is a job I want to take or if it’s something I should pass on. I would love to talk with some of you in private to get your thoughts, as I have a few questions regarding a job in AM.

Why not interview and see where it takes you?

That’s what I intend on doing, but thought talking to some people who have more experience in the field might help a bit. It’s institutional asset management. During college I wanted to go into AM, but things changed and now here I am with the possibility of going into it.

You certainly can, but make sure work hard

Update on this… They’re looking for a quant… Something I am not qualified for…I think the HR person confused my financial modeling skills with having quant skills…

That won’t be too hard. I work 15-17 hours days around quarter-end and 12 hour days for month-end.