Negotiating Salary

Guys, I recently accepted an offer for a new position and, when attempting to put in my two weeks at my current firm, got a counter offer (somewhat expected). My intention is still to go to the new firm, but there is a no longer much of a salary bump because of the counter offer. Anyone have experience reaching back out to the new firm, explaining the counter offer, and asking for a slightly higher salary than agreed upon? I don’t want to ruffle feathers at the new company, but I don’t want to leave $$ on the table. Any suggestions here?

I wouldn’t bring it up to the new firm, the deal is done. How would you feel if they said, we going to have to cut our original offer down $_____ because we found someone who is willing to work for that, we still want you though, so we cool?

Just know that no matter what deal you made it wasn’t as bad as NAFTA which was the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals, maybe ever.

Do not do it. If counter is 20-30% more, consider taking it, if opportunity is good. Otherwise good luck on new place

According to the TV in my elevator, it once read that over 70% of people who accept a counter offer end up regretting the decision.

That, and the fact that you’re basically leaving money on the table in the long term if you don’t job hop once or twice (if you’re early in your career).

Make the move dude. You wanted to find a better gig and now you did, it’s your company’s own fault for not recognizing your worth sooner.

i got a counter counter offer once but I didn’t try and negotiate it, it was just something that came up in the discussion. I don’t think asking for i will ever go down well if you’ve already come to an agreement.

1. Don’t stay at the old firm despite the counteroffer, you are tainted goods now

2. Don’t mention the counteroffer from your old firm, just take the offer and move on. Again, if you are purely for the money, you can risk it, again, I assume you want the new job given the total package (increase in $ and better career path).

^This.

In the wise words that someone once said;

He was a skater boy She said see you later boy He wasn’t good enough for her

Now he’s a super star Slamming on his guitar Does your pretty face see what he’s worth?

You are the skater boy and she is your current employer.

^This. #1 for sure. They know you were already looking to leave once, you’ll do it again, maybe soon.

Just roll to your new job. I assume you were looking not just for salary purposes right? Move along.

ALSO - I can’t believe some dude just quoted an avril lavigne song. dude. cmon.

am i right though! i mean

Why’d you have to go and make things so complicated? I see the way you’re Actin’ like you’re somebody else, gets me frustrated

Guys, thank you so much for your informative posts! I work as an analyst at <!–td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}–> https://expertwriter.net and I was thinking about getting a promotion so I decided to read some opinions about it. Thank you for sharing your stories, they really help others, who are still not sure in their position!

This happens all the time. You applied for a different job hoping it’d give you leverage for salary negotiations with your current employer. You got the job, but then your current employer realized what they’re losing and offered you more money. You can absolutely get back to the new firm asking for more money, which would justify your move. But you burned that bridge when you ACCEPTED their initial offer. You have two options now. Accept the raise from your current employer, or join the new firm with the offer you already accepted. I’d go with the second option. Check back in a year and see if your old employer wants you back at a higher raise. People hot-potato between firms all the time. You’ll make a lot of money with signing bonuses too.

I also think going with the new job is probably the best solution. You can always get a new, new job later if you think you are worth more, but if you stay at your old company, they know you are thinking of leaving, so they may start looking for a replacement.