Other Qualifications eg CGMA - UK based

I have been in investment research for nearly 15 years and spent some time in practice (including PwC) before that. I have CFA 1 albeit from a long time ago. My focus has been sell side and advisory, mainly to UK small and mid cap.

The strategic view I have on businesses, combined with the ability to read accounts and conduct advanced financial modelling could open up quite a different career path.

I think a Board level position, maybe CFO for a growth company could be the ultimate ambition. That might start in Investor Relations or internal M&A. Buyside and private equity are other areas of interest. Probably in UK or elsewhere in Europe although am open to ideas on location and industry.

I am looking at doing a bite sized qualification that could turbo charge my career. I have a management degree and CFA 1. I also have a hectic job and two young kids, who demand most of my time and money.

Finishing the CFA I think is just too intense for me and perhaps a bit limiting. MBA will probably need a new mortgage and is perhaps quite generic. I think accountancy qualifications are really versatile but ACA, ACCA, CIMA are a long haul. Perhaps id have some exemptions. I am not sure.

I think CMA is too US focussed for me.

On CIMA I have read that there is a fast track for experienced senior finance professionals to get the CGMA designation with just 1 exam. I am a director and head of department. Is this a thing?

Any other suggestions for a relatively short but worthwhile course? I know there is no substitute for hard graft and time committed but I need to be a little targeted here!

Thoughts gratefully received

Cmon guys. You must have some ideas! This is the key question - ‘I am looking at doing a bite sized qualification that could turbo charge my career.’

I don’t think there is anything “bite-size” that will turbo charge your career. Qualifications such as CFA, ACA, ACCA are recognised in the market as great qualifications as they take time and dedication from those sitting them. I can rattle off some quick wins, but I don’t think they will materially change your situation:

• CAIA

• Certificate In Corporate Finance CISI

• IMC

You should look at sites like Kaplan, Fitch etc and see what qualifications they offer.

so you want to be the CFO or some c level executive of a large firm but think CFA is too intense for you and also don’t want to do MBA? So you want the gold medal without putting in the work? first step is to eat your oats with scrambled eggs and a glass of milk.