Career advice

Hi guys,

I’m looking for some career advice at this point in my life. To give you a little background about me : I’m based in India, I started working in KPMG Risk Advisory straight out of college, did 3 years there along with the 3 levels of CFA. I have three offers right now - one from Barclays for their prime brokerage services team (offshored unit supporting London and NYC desks). The other is MSCI in their index product team for the APAC region, and the third is a private equity role for a KPO called Tresvista. All three offers are based out of Mumbai and are Associate level positions.

I need tips on what the long term career prospects, exit opportunities etc would be for all three roles. I’m leaning more toward Barclays and MSCI since they are great brands to work for. Any thoughts?

Guys? Thoughts?

All these seem like typical outsourced operations jobs and to me, sound roughly equivalent. As an organization, MSCI is probably better than Barclays, but who knows what their India operation is like. I don’t know about the small one. You should list the criteria that are valuable to you in a job, and see which one satisfies these the best, based on your interactions with the companies.

Build a list of pro’s and cons. Give them weights based on your preferences. add em up. Chose the one with the best score.

This worked well for Ross and Rachel.

I heard the CEO of a pretty big company use Ross and Rachel in reference to a transaction recently: “This is another of those Ross and Rachel deals. Will they, won’t they, who knows?”

Ross messed up. Didn’t use weighted average.

Rachel too much baggage though. Hard sell. Phoebe underrated.

They were on a break!

Hi guys,

I need some career advice.I have completed the course of Chartered Accountancy and Graduation in commerce.I am presently working with one of the big fours in audit department. I want to go for Investment Banking, something related to equity research. Please guide me how should I proceed.

You should have started your own thread instead of hijacking this one. Not that it matters though. There is no magic solution and you’re likely not getting into IB or research coming from internal audit. Either get an MBA from a top school to make the necessary connections, or network your ass off. That’s about it.

Unless you wanna come on down to a** backwards Florida! I see IB analyst postings allllll day for job openings that want Big 4 background. Research? Not so much. There aren’t any Research job postings here hardly ever though so wouldn’t know. Most bigger shops migrate here for tax purposes and convince their Ivy league staff to relocate w/them, ie they don’t want to hire here (can’t blame them)

Where are you located? I know the path out. Happy to explain more… Just need your location and what level of audit are you in? I am also a Chartered Accountant and I am now working in IB - 10 months after articles.

@mayuri?

This really is the best advice when it comes of choosing which is which.