Hedge fund company vs equity research company

In which organisation one can gain most of the knowledge of financial securities HF company or ER company?

by the time you land a job at a hedge fund, you already know your stuff. HF run very lean with each person contributing their niche skill sets. You won’t see any first year or second year analysts learning their trade at HFs. At minimum we hired 3rd or 4th year IBankers who slaved 80-90 hours a week at IBs.

I think you mean equity research company as in sell side? these and maybe mutual funds - buyside - is where you will most likely start your career…

^LOL, says the guy with negative karma. I wouldn’t trust a word he says, probably just doesn’t want the competition!

He’s right though. Very few HF’s gonna just take a blank `slate candidate and show them the ropes.

No doubt you may learn more at a HF, but you have to come in with a fair bit ot knowledge just to get there.

I’d think hedge fund experience will be more useful, since you would have more motivation there to make accurate decisions. Results accountability seems largely non existent at sell side research places. Of course, given mediocre hedge fund returns as a whole, I’d guess that the quality of your experience will vary.

do you even work in the industry?!

“you just don’t want the competition!” hahahaha…yup that is it!! you got me.