Job Interview Bind

I’m in a bind. About a week ago, I reluctantly said yes to an ER interview after a friend tried his hardest to convince me to consider working with his firm… Now, I have 3 interviews in 2 different states. Two of the interviews, corp dev and PE, are in the same city/state, the third interview (ER) is in a different state .I have the corp dev interview and PE interview booked for the same day next week, so that’s not an issue. Now the hiring managers for the ER role want a second round interview with me the day after the Corp Dev and PE interviews, so this would require me to drive to another state several hours away. I want to push the ER interview to the following week, but that’s the week of Christmas (which is the week I took off work) and I think that will be too late. I spoke with my director about taking off next week instead of the week of Christmas and he, in a very polite way, said no. I want to go to all 3 interviews because I’m not guaranteed to have one until a formal offer is made. I prefer the PE job more than the other two, but prefer the ER job the least of the 3. Should I tell the ER guys that I’ll be in another state for other interviews and hope that it can be pushed out? Would pushing one interview to the week of Christmas be too late? What are your thoughts and opinions on what I should do?

I would suggest you tell the ER team that you are going to be in another state and ask them if they can push it out even a day (I’m assuming your CD and PE interviews are not on a Friday). You don’t need to tell them that you have interviews, but be honest that you aren’t in town and that’s why you’re asking for a push. If they are okay with going to the Christmas week, go for it. Even if you don’t want the job, you don’t want to burn bridges. You never know when you’ll end up meeting those people again and we (as in humans) remember the bad better than the good.

That’s what I decided to do. Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

good luck lil cubby make us proud

If it’s all the same company, you should be able to get them to be flexible on the schedule.

Unfortunately, they’re not. They are 3 different companies. One is a private equity Firm, another is an oil & gas Company, and another is an investment bank. I asked the Investment Bank if we can push things out, but I haven’t heard back.

Update on this: I had several rounds of interviews for the corp dev position and killed them all except for the last interview. F that company and that MD. The MD complimented me as soon as he walked in and said “I heard from the previous guys that you’re very well prepared.” From that moment on, it seemed as if he was out to make me look bad. I can already tell that he’s on a power trip and that the atmosphere is toxic. The MD asked me very technical (but easy) questions about general modeling. He would find a way to ding me and I’d call him out on it. E.g. “Tell me about a time when you fixed a mistake that you weren’t responsible for.” Me: I did ____ on a board presentation because I noticed a mistake with X. Him: Oh, that’s not good. Information could have changed and you would have made everyone look bad. Me: No, it wouldn’t have changed. I’m aware of every change that has to be made (despite having already told him this).

As for the PE interview, the firm loved me, the interviewer and I had a great conversation, and I was able to answer every question with confidence; however, they decided to go with someone who has 8 years of experience. They feel that, as he will be the only analyst, he will be able to perform the necessary duties better than I would since my RE modeling skills were mediocre compared to the other candidate. That being said, they did mention that they would consider me later in the year when they need to hire a second analyst.

What happened with the ER interview?

I asked if I could push it to another date and never got a response back after that. I assume they just went to the next person in the stack of resumes that they probably have.

Yeah probably. That’s rude though. Most places at least reply back that they can’t postpone.