How do we feel about cold calls?

How do we feel about cold calls? Does cold calls = brass balls or cold call = blackball?

I’m graduating next December and trying to find a summer internship. Unpaid is fine. 0/7 so far on interviews because I keep going autism mode. I have an 8th coming up but I’ve also been sending out emails in case it doesn’t work out. I can prob find these ****ers’ phone numbers on RocketReach who I’ve already emailed once or twice without hearing back from. Barry Rosenstein got his big break through a cold call. Plenty of people have done it. So is cold calling just a big dongski move that I should embrace to find gainful employment or what?

If you don’t call, how will they know you’re available? 

Financial Planner
BBA (Finance & International Business) 1998,
MBA (With a Global Perspective) 2011,
ChFC® 2018, CLU® 2019
Owns an Independent RIA/Insurance Agency
Series 65, Life, Annuities, Health (Expired 6,63)

Cold calling is fine, imo, IF you have your pitch locked down tight. You need a strong 30 second intro or you’re wasting both their and your time. 

A long time ago, when I started on our sales desk I had to cold call advisors. It takes some practice so don’t expect to nail it the first time. Don’t call the firms you really want to work at first. Get some practice in by calling random chop shops. Also, you’re going to have to learn to get passed the gatekeeper. Much of the time, they’re tougher on you than the key contact you’re hoping to reach. 

Smile and dial

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

Sweep the Leg wrote:

Cold calling is fine, imo, IF you have your pitch locked down tight. You need a strong 30 second intro or you’re wasting both their and your time. 

A long time ago, when I started on our sales desk I had to cold call advisors. It takes some practice so don’t expect to nail it the first time. Don’t call the firms you really want to work at first. Get some practice in by calling random chop shops. Also, you’re going to have to learn to get passed the gatekeeper. Much of the time, they’re tougher on you than the key contact you’re hoping to reach. 

Agree with this. There’s nothing wrong with it. At the right time you’re gonna land at the right path too. 

Jennifer6 wrote:

Sweep the Leg wrote:

Agree with this. There’s nothing wrong with it. At the right time you’re gonna land at the right path too. 

Wall St. grew up on cold calling. If someone said it’s dead it’s because they’re scared of making phone calls! Seriously, I make maybe 50-70 cold calls a day. Some people truly couldn’t care less no matter how good your initial pitch/cadence is, but there really are advisors out there who want to hear from someone and form a relationship with. And I wouldn’t just focus on the whales, there’s upcoming advisers all over the place that you can build a relationship with and then it turns into a playing field where they want to use you again. And everyone is worth calling in my opinion, because you never know what meetings that adviser is planning etc. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

100% go for it. Know that pitch! Practice saying it aloud before you call as well.

If they have a good pitch about themselves and more importantly know about who I am and what I might potentially value, then I’m happy to take a cold call. Otherwise it’s a dead end. You have nothing to lose by trying, but fortune always favors the prepared candidate.

There are some really good videos on YouTube of Jordan Belfort teaching how to selling over phone.

Im prepping my move, need a little more experience and to sharpen up a little more. Will likely cold-call in addition to some other ideas, which I learned from a prior career, trade secrets :)

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

^ Interesting. I’m going to look this up. 

We’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you’ll say, 'Please, please. It’s too much winning. We can’t take it anymore. Mr. President, it’s too much.' And I’ll say, 'No, it isn’t!' We have to keep winning!

^ Thanks. Just to be safe, I think I’ll watch The Wolf of Wall Street again. Can’t get enough of Margo Robbie. 

From my experience, 99% of people get really annoyed with job cold calling. However, the good thing is that you just need 1% of people to like you, and you forget the rest. If you do preparations, I doubt there is anything you can do with less than 1% odds. 

“Visit the Water Cooler forum on Analyst Forum. It is the best forum.”
- Everyone

Cold calls are a lot like pickup lines.  How do people feel about pickup lines?  It depends on how good of a candidate you are and how well you execute them.  If you are the job equivalent of an unsuitable suitor you’ll probably annoy them and equally so if you bungle the delivery, the converse is also true.  Be prepared to try to turn the conversation personable as quickly as possible.

#FreeCVM #FreeTurd #2007-2017