Career in equity research analyst

Here’s my background: B.Tech in metallurgical engineering

I’m seeking a equity research analyst role in a firm. I applied to many firms, but didn’t get even a single interview call. I have heard firms hire MBA graduates for this position. I’m learning MS Excel, Financial modeling right now. What else should I learn? After having requisite skills, even then I think I won’t get much interview calls. I know in this forum, there are many experienced people which can help me to get a job.

Why should people help you?

That’s what forum is built for. To help each other and participate in the discussion. No obligation to reply if you don’t want to participate in the discussion.

I’d do the job on seeking alpha while networking.

You need to learn more. Your post comes across as fairly Naive. Your background will not help you get into an EA role without any financial experience what so ever. I think you should consider a Top-Tier MBA or possibly a MSc finance. Then go from there.

To get a job in finance you need to study finance. Learning excel and financial modeling are just a basic skills like knowing how to use word and write a business letter. It’s like me thinking I can be an engineer because I studied calculus on Udemy… You should, at a minimum, know about business management. So, getting a MBA and completing your CFA might help open some doors.

I know my profile is not that level of the Top-Tier MBA. And it is not worth to do MBA finance from blah blah college.So I am considering MSc finance. How is that compared to MBA finance? After working some years in the industry and have better profile, I’ll do MBA finance. Any good college recommendation for MSc finance?

Are you based in the US or UK?

I live in India. However, I may migrate to US or UK for education. No issue. Just want to get admitted in good colleges.

MSc from LSE is always a great start

So, I would actually go back to street fighter’s comment and start there. Frame your development around answering that question, because if you can’t provide a compelling answer why they should call you, they probably are not going to be calling you. It’s blunt but accurate.

Check out the links in my signature,

Let me ask you a question first, tell me why you are in this forum? If you can answer this, you will have answer which you are seeking for.

People will hire if they see value in you, and not the other way. They don’t care if you present yourself in a best way possible or not because there is always another Candidate waiting in line. So, be nice to people and show them that you have something to help them whether it’s a skills to bring more revenue to firm or helping them to manage risk or analyzing companies in such a way that makes them more profitable. In business there is no equal sides, you are the one who needs them to hire you, pay you, train you. So, change your goddam attitude and be nice to people or you aren’t going anywhere in finance.

All you had to do is answer my question and tell me what is that you have which is unique. Are you really cool guy to work with? Are you the one who can pay attention to detail? Can you analyze number and present them in a meaningful way? Can you write reports without copying and pasting tons of stuff from internet? Do you have a clear chain of thoughts to pursue rich people? Can you take the beatings or you are some softie?

I float over here to try to help out misguided people looking for career advice so they can bring in the rupees. Anyhoozle, clearly you’re not going to work in the industry in no small part owing to the fact that you’re incapable of accepting constructive criticism. My advice was sound, anybody looking to transition from call center to SS ER should be asking themselves those questions and trying to develop answers as part of their career development.

Exactly, what I’m seeking for. I don’t get you, why you asked me to give the reason to help me. I asked the advice and nothing else. Well, I’m a CFA Level 1 Candidate so I have a basic knowledge of finance. I know level 1 is just basic, but it atleast tell the recruiter that I have some knowledge, Something is better than nothing. They can nourish me later also, no one have complete set of skills what recruiters are looking. I was nice. But ask yourself were you nice to me. No. See NewAnalyst reply, he was nice. But you don’t and also blackswan. Redditors are way cool than AF guys.

Who the hell are you to define me from a single post? Don’t worry, I’ll penetrate into the industry no matter what it takes. Hopefully, making money more than you. In my journey, some will help and some don’t. It is what it is. Now, horse off from here.

Lol, ok, now we’re just getting trolled. I see you Rahul!

Image result for SRK pointing