Switching sectors in SS ER

Anyone ever switch sectors or know anyone who did, like something completely different after covering one sector for a while? What are the pros and cons? As far as exit opportunities go, BS, or whatever, how do people perceive that? Good or bad? Tanks.

I know people who have done it. Buddy just switched from FIG to biotech. Not sure how it’s perceived

My friend switched from consumer stocks to tech. He was just some 3rd or 4th year associate, so it was still doable. I don’t see why it would have a good or bad perception. People judge you based on the work you’re currently producing.

^ Yes, I agree. I’d also add that besides finding a team where you can get along well with your senior analyst (most important), I always advise clients to pick a sector where you have a natural interest in, and preferably something that has relevance in the market benchmark. For example, tech, consumer, healthcare, industrials and FIG all represent sizable portions of the S&P 500 – especially the first three – and also have a fair amount of liquidity. Because of that, more funds want to invest in those areas which broadens your future exit opportunities.

Thanks for the feedback gents!

I’d add that I would imagine you would have to switch banks to do this. I think it reflects poorly on the MD if their associate goes through the trouble to switch sectors and they often will do what’s in their power to stop it.