CFA Level 3 , writing my own research to land a job in Finance

Hi all,

I am sitting the CFA Level 3 exam in June, and in order to land a job as a buy side analyst, I am planning to write my own research. I have no previous experience in finance except as a product consultant and sales person for a big financial data provide. I am 32 years old currently, did some of you have a similar situation, or what has been your path into finance?

Thanks!

Stefan

Hi there, I was also thinking about creating works. You can do stock pitch, there are numerous examples and templates on that in Google search. However, it is really long process and it’s better to do it in a team.

Why finance? and why research when it is dead end industry?

learn programming better prospects

Or plumbing

Someone told me a long time ago that one of the best ways to break in is to start your own blog. Or write reports and publish on websites such as “Seeking Alpha”. It can also backfire as well if said security does not perform as expected as fails miserably but not everyone is perfect.

ok let’s be real. research is not a dead end industry. It may be slowing down and downsizing but not dead end. Those that survive will still make good money in the coming decades. Because your mid to high 6 figure income is not dependent on what you know but who you know and your job title. You and I and the rest of us are here to just ride the wave (overall economy).

Don’t matter if youre a quant, fundamental or factor based, when the market goes down the shi**er, well chances are your fund will too and vice versa. Having said that, if you’re lucky enough to be high up in the fund and catch the bull wave, you’ll make a really high income and you’ll look like a hero despite lagging SP500 all in return (but this is whole another thread).

Thanks for the advice guys. Already learning Python.