Asked For Spreadsheet Or Something Quantitative?

I some how managed to get an interview with a RE PE firm after submitting my resume online. I think the interview went well, connected with the interviewer and what not. As the title states, I was asked to send something quantitative that I’m proud of…whether it be a spreadsheet or whatever.

I don’t have any financial analysis experience or ever held any type of analyst role…which they clearly know based off my resume.

Help?

Build something. Create a model for air bnb or valuing hotel points. I used to build these sort of things right out of college. If you don’t, you may not be a good fit for that type of job

Good luck

Send your personal balance sheet.

1. Build a model for a budget and just make up the numbers. Have the spreadsheet sum up spending categories as you input expenses. Have a total spent, total saved etc

2. A model for valuing a home using expected cash flows. For example if you required return is 10% cash on cash what would be the price point of the house

I know a top modeling expert who can be at your service. His email is:

Tank

Find an investment property a duplex or 4-plex and build a model on purchase, rehab, and rental and then sale in 5 years. It covers all of the bases. Add coinop laundry to add to revenue. Use a local property for sale so you can find comps and do a quick market analysis. Use craigslist to get an idea of local rental rates. Ask a Realtor or Loan Officer to help with closing cost estimates. Tell the truth and they might help. Building cost estimates are easy. The inspection company Pillar to Post has a brochure of building cost estimates. Get a copy (pdf online?) and use those numbers for the rehab. Do a simple rehab of paint, carpet, and reface bathrooms and kitchen.

Sign up for a financial modeling course and when you sen them your model, let them know you are taking a basics course. Even financial planners sometimes build models in excel, so whatever job you get, you’ll need to know some basics to make life easier.

Have fun. If the numbers work out, this may be your first personal real estate investment opportunity. Or the model of what to look for when you have some savings, cash flow, and credit.

Actually just use a 5- 10% closing costs and use 20% down for the loan if you can’t get a real estimate.