Thank-you letter following interview could things make worse?

Hi all,

Just wondering whether some of you experienced that a well-crafted thank-you note by e-mail (3-4 lines) could things turn on its head and lead to the opposite it should because the receiver/interviewer has no experience with it? I had this unfortunate experience and it feels awful.

Appreciate every thoughts…

Wait. What?

Define “well crafted”.

First, one line saying that you thank for the interview and two more lines reiterating your interest in the vacancy following the conversation.

Nothing special…

Suggest you have someone edit before you send the email.

ive had good luck sending thank you’s, sounds like a good idea.

I’ve had recruiters specifically tell me that if I want to send a thank you note to the hiring manager, they would be more than happy to forward my message. In general I’ve always sent a one-line thank you message after interviews. I’ve also had people I’ve interviewed go overboard with the thank you note. This one kid tried to add me on Linkedin and send all these brown-nosey messages.

I’ve never heard of sending a Thank You note going badly. I have certainly heard of NOT sending one being a difference maker between two candidates though.

OK but we need to be aware of the fact that are huge differences between the US and Europe. Especially with small shops vs big banks. And if people are not familiar with these letters (not used to get them after every interview) it could backfire…

^I’m unaware of cultures that frown upon being a nice person.

Do you crash and burn a lot, Pastor?

Ad hei.so

Any problems? I just made a statement about what I observed and wanted to engage to have a fruitful conversation about thank-you letters but no shallow interaction with someone like you! If you don’t have anything valuable to contribute then simply refrain.