Financial Analyst job?

Hi guys

I want to become a financial analyst and start an official career in finance and I got this offer but I’m not sure if it’s a job financial analysts do. Can you advise me if it’s okay to accept it?

*job description*

• 50% of Time to Analyze Financial Statements of Pharmaceuticals and Competitors, Prepare Short List of companies for Monthly, Quarterly, Yearly, Monitor Performance and Adjust based on parameters to support business planning like Marketing activities and Software Promotional activities.
  • 25% of Time To Work with Marketing Strategy Team to ensure financial numbers referred in material is factual correct based on secondary research. Support Content preparation activities for Campaign Design & Execution, Content Management.
  • 25% of Time Self Improvement related to Management like Business Writing, Customer Success, Team Expansion and Talent Development activities. You will be given paid Udemy account and access to business books to read and put them into practice on team tasks.

Don’t spam you FA.

Don’t spam you FA.

“Financial Analyst” has become (or maybe has always been) a generic position ranging from quant to writing research reports. Some require econometric forecasting, some specific software knowledge like Cognos, some require in depth accounting knowledge (especially if you’re in FP&A). It really depends on the position. I don’t see why the job description you’ve shown wouldn’t fall under a financial anlayst role.

So will it count as relevant work experience when I apply somewhere else after a few months? Will I be learning something that will help me bag a job in a finance firm? I want to get into MA/PE/VC?

You could sweep the floor for a living and still make it relevant experience for any position.

How do you do that if you want to get into ER/AM?

You worked long hours and are a team player, with an eye for detail in complex analytical processes.

But they all require previous work experience? How are we supposed to get it if no one is willing to give it to us? Also, the requirements of having worked in big firms, experience in this particular field, this and that…you know all the stuff they put??? How do you get past that?

I mean, I work in Credit. How do I market myself for ER? How do you compete with Candidates who already have years of investment management or IB work experience? The advice I get is “build financial models and write reports”.