Trouble after CFA
Thanks in advance for any guidance or ideas.
I recently became a CFA Charterholder, and I am having trouble getting in for any jobs that require experience as an investment banker or with any credit analysis training. I have worked at a mutual fund company for the last 6 years, from client service to sales to a research/analyst job more on the business side (aka not analyzing companies, but analyzing funds/products). Does anyone have any thoughts or guidance on how to get this training/education/experience outside of trying to apply to jobs that…require that experience? Anything in equity or credit research, private equity, or consulting would interest me, but they are all looking for that specific experience. I see Fitch and Moody’s offer courses in-person for thousands of dollars and not in my city (Houston).
Just want to put this education and hard work to good use.
For reference, I have been in the analyst role for 2 years and have an Economics degree from University of Texas at Austin.
Here’s a description of my current role:
• Help strengthen and deepen product placements on wealth management platform models and recommended lists by performing investment manager due diligence, assessing My Company and competitor manager investment strategies, buy/sell discipline, risk management, and portfolio construction (including equity, fixed income, and alternative mutual funds and ETFs, with a specialty in active fixed income portfolios)
• Support Due Diligence Directors through research to identify market areas of competitive advantages and trends in vehicles, product types, asset classes, and sub-asset classes
• Contribute to national retirement and insurance sales by researching investment lineups and providing sales management and field salespeople with strategic sales plans and talking points on how our products and strategies compare with incumbent investment managers
• Develop and produce proprietary monthly fund market reports with Morningstar Direct using the scorecard feature
• Create presentations in Morningstar Direct’s Presentation Studio to support client-facing due diligence meetings
Study together. Pass together.
Join the world's largest online community of CFA, CAIA and FRM candidates.