Relocating in 5-9 months

Here’s my situation: I’m currently in a pretty good situation career wise and I like my job. The only problem is that I’m working abroad and I’d like to move back home. My plan is to make the move in 6 to 9 months (I can’t relocated before next spring), so I have quite a bit of flexibility. I have no problem in waiting for a good offer. How would you approach the situation?

Here’s my plan so far: I have a long contact list of managers that I’ve gathered from old job postings. I’m thinking about hitting up these managers now, explaining my situation and asking if they think that my profile would be a good fit for their organization. I believe that very few will straight up say no. From then on, I can keep in touch with these managers during the next 6 months so that when it’s time for me to move, I will already be “familiar” with the managers. Thoughts?

Hey hey,

Same situation here, besides I am planning to relocate sooner than you, and I intend to make a career switch from public accounting to investment related. I have been applying for works in the area I want to relocate to. However, I found it’s a bit hard to secure a job without being present there, given the place I want to relocate has one of the most CFAs in the world. I’ve been thinking about whether I should find a job there and hunt for the dream job meanwhile.

Sorry I could not give you more practical suggestions, but I hope you have a very smooth relocation back home!