Shortest time at one position?

So, after being out of work for a little over a year, I got a non-finance job (it was related to my undergrad degree) that paid OK but just isn’t what I wanted to do. It was better than nothing and there was nothing else on the horizon. That was 3.5 months ago. A few weeks ago, I interviewed for a finance position and this week, I got an offer. It pays 20% more, is much more in line with what I am interested in, and has more growth opportunities. I’ve basically decided I want the job but I feel like a d-bag leaving my current job. Is 3.5 months too short a time? And what the heck do I tell my current employer? I genuinely feel bad about leaving them high and dry, but that is something I need to get over. They could can me any time they want. We are experiencing budget problems and I dodged the first round of layoffs but I could still potentially lose my job and this apparently has happened for the last few years.

This shouldnt even be an issue…follow your heart and do what you love…take the new job. Employers have 0 loyalty in these current conditions anyway so why should you?

Yeah, I just need to suck it up and tell them “Thanks for the memories.”

I once had a colleague who applied for another job and resigned. This is in Europe so the resignation period is quite long. Once she had resigned from the job in “our” firm, it offered her better pay and nicer tasks. She then immediately decided to stay with “our” firm so she resigned from the other job, the one she had applied for and written a contract with but where she had not yet started to work, and where that brief resignation period ended before the date they had set out for her first day at that other firm. Thus the shortest period can be as short as zero hours… needless to say the other firm was furious! They had to redo the process of finding and recruiting someone; those who had applied previously had already found other job opportunities…

What made her change her mind? My shortest job was when I decided being an auditor would be a good starting point. Well after 1 month I had had enough. The work sucked, the firm was a mid tier one and treated us badly. Had to go off all the time to these crappy towns in rural areas of the state I lived in, in Australia. I found a job a month later, so after 2 months I told them I was resigning, auditing wasnt for me. They made me work out the 1 months notice you have to give in OZ, so total time was 3 months! I think they were pissed, it was busy audit season starting. But everyone there hated it and wanted to leave. Not sur eif it was a good decision to go or not. I got an ok job at goldman, mid officey type work. But I guess if anything having goldman on my resume now make sit worth it.

^^ She changed her mind when she got a job closer to the front office, to work with the equity analyst (she was in a risk management and controlling function) and better pay (she was given a raise). She liked the company as such, but felt that she wasn’t making much progress career-wise up until then, had rather slipped into the position of being the “mascot” (she was youngest and a girl) although she was the only one who had actually managed to pass the CFA exams! I wouldn’t recommend her strategy though, wouldn’t do it myself.

Daviskr gave me an excellent lesson that was short and sweet. Why do you care about the company if the company doesn’t care about you? We’re all just underlings. Do what you need to do for #1, eff everyone else until you’re SVP level.

nequity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > They made me work out the 1 months notice you have > to give in OZ, so total time was 3 months! How can they -make- you work and what are the repercussions if you walk?

Unsure what reprecussions ar eif you walk. Well you are supposed to give a months notice. and they are entitled to have you work out that month. I am quite suprised they made me considering I was auditing, I mean if quality of work suffers its not a good thing, lots of risk for them. But we all know auditors always give the green tick to keep the clients happy. I guess they figured I was just a little underling in the big scheme of things and if I behaved badly it would get around and in the business community word gets around. Still I think they had more to lose. Either way I maintained my professional integrity.

Think of it this way, since layoffs may be coming you could be saving someone elses job by jumping ship. How altruistic of you!

If you really felt bad you wouldn’t have started looking for jobs. So you must know what you want.

worked 5 weeks for an insurance company in Hartford. Boring.

pupdawg82 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > worked 5 weeks for an insurance company in > Hartford. Boring. My mom did this for 30 years. Exactly why I moved away from Hartford, so I wouldn’t work in insurance.

I had a co-worker who joined a hedge fund thinking she was going to be an analyst, but quit on the second day after she found out she was hired to be a research assistant. She told them she had a “family emergency” and never came back to work.

“She told them she had a “family emergency” and never came back to work” - That is what I did to move from Hartford.

SVP: “Damn we didn’t meet budget this quarter… We are not getting enough business in this economy and we gotta cut some costs on our P&L…” VP: “How about firing X and Y, that would be a cost reduction and would bump up the utilization of the other associates?” SVP: “Nah, X? We just hired him 3 months ago. I’d feel like a total d-bad to let him go so soon, he’s such an enthusiastic chap. I just don’t have the heart!” VP: “Yep, don’t know what I was thinking, sometimes I just am too rational and forget that we are all human after all. Let’s just suck up the loss on the P&L and hope the CFO will feel just as altruistic and charitable as we do!”

^lol

^ha ha that’s funny My shortest stint was 6 month, similar to others took a position and found out I hated it, they were mad, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

i know somebody that was an equity analyst for about 4 hours.