Obama Seen as Anti-Business by 77% of U.S. Investors (Europe/Asia disagree)

Jan. 22 (Bloomberg) – U.S. investors overwhelmingly see President Barack Obama as anti-business and question his ability to manage a financial crisis, according to a Bloomberg survey. The global quarterly poll of investors and analysts who are Bloomberg subscribers finds that 77 percent of U.S. respondents believe Obama is too anti-business and four-out-of-five are only somewhat confident or not confident of his ability to handle a financial emergency. The poll also finds a decline in Obama’s overall favorability rating one year after taking office. He is viewed favorably by 27 percent of U.S. investors. In an October poll, 32 percent in the U.S. held a positive impression. “Investors no longer feel they can trust their instincts to take risks,” said poll respondent David Young, a managing director for a broker dealer in New York. Young cited Obama’s efforts to trim bonuses and earnings, make health care his top priority over jobs and plans to tax “the rich or advantaged.” Carlos Vadillo, a fixed-income analyst at Wells Fargo Securities LLC in San Francisco, said Obama has been in a “constant war” with the banking system, using “fat-cat bankers and other misnomers to describe a business model which supports a large portion of America.” Europe, Asia Outside the U.S., Obama continues to get high marks with three-quarters or more of investors in Europe and Asia viewing him favorably. These rankings bring his global favorability rating to 60 percent among all poll respondents. When it comes to his ability to manage a financial crisis, 55 percent of Europeans say they are either mostly or very confident; Among Asian respondents, 59 percent say they are somewhat confident or not confident; 38 percent expressed confidence. Unlike other recent presidents, Obama hasn’t selected a leading business executive for his cabinet or a top advisory role. One year after taking office, he is coping with a jobless rate hovering around 10 percent and a federal deficit that rose to $1.4 trillion last year. In response, he has proposed a fee on as many as 50 large financial firms and yesterday called for limiting the size and trading activities of financial institutions as a way to reduce risk-taking. -------------------------------------------------------------- Interesting article in how Europe and Asia love him but US investors don’t… Hopefully he realizes US investors are the only ones who can re-elect him.

I’m in that 77%

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m in that 77% +1

I don’t this he is anti-busines, I do think that he may not see the immediate impact that his proposed policy changes will have on businesses and how various conditions that he has control over are ‘squeezing out’ many businesses. The catch-22 is that the small businesses cannot access the resources they need to grow, this passes the demand onto the larger firms, which BO then turns around and imposes fee’s on. It a vicious circle and I think he is trying to please too many people and in the end pleasing none.

^RE: nuppal’s first statement translation: he isn’t anti-business he’s just an idiot

Yeah go ahead and vote republican in 2012…lets push the world into GD2. We had low unemployment under Bush for a while only because of the housing bubble. At least BO he is investing in USA instead of wasting it on new wars. Obama’s words are all rhetoric. If he and the Dems wanted true healthcare reform then we would be implementing a system similar to Europe (free basic services, focus on disease prevention, healthier lifestyle) while having insurance for higher cost services. The current plan is a gift to health insurance companies. Take the burden of health insurance off the backs of businesses. And anyways the biggest cause of the current economic malaise is the movement of a large chunk of our manufacturing and other industry base outside the country. The only thing that will stabilize the economy is if either our living standards go down to the level of China, India etc. or theirs catch up to ours.

>At least BO he is investing in USA instead > of wasting it on new wars. Ha! Last I checked, Obama is still sending resources to those same wars. And by “investing in USA”, do you mean spending us into oblivion so far that we’ll probably never be out of debt in our lifetime? (I opposed Bush’s out of control spending as well. BO is making that look like child’s play.) He gets a higher approval rating in Europe b/c his ideology is more aligned w/the Europeans’.

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >And anyways the biggest cause of > the current economic malaise is the movement of a > large chunk of our manufacturing and other > industry base outside the country. The only thing > that will stabilize the economy is if either our > living standards go down to the level of China, > India etc. or theirs catch up to ours. i don’t think it’s the biggest cause (lack of bank lending comes to mind), but i agree the erosion of our manufacturing base has not been good for our economy and it was masked by the “growth” last cycle generated by loose lending and the housing boom. but i think the trend is turning as china begins to consume and starts letting their currency float. i am seeing some on-shoring in my work, hopefully it continues because we really need it.

steph96 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > >At least BO he is investing in USA instead > > of wasting it on new wars. > > > Ha! Last I checked, Obama is still sending > resources to those same wars. And by “investing > in USA”, do you mean spending us into oblivion so > far that we’ll probably never be out of debt in > our lifetime? (I opposed Bush’s out of control > spending as well. BO is making that look like > child’s play.) > > He gets a higher approval rating in Europe b/c his > ideology is more aligned w/the Europeans’. Did you know that Germany has a lower unemployment rate than the US? As far as the war is concerned You can’t fight the military complex. Did you even take a look at his spending (Scientific research, Alternative energy, infrastructure, high speed rail etc.). A majority of the inventions we take for granted in the US have come as a direct result of federal investment in Universities, Hospitals, Research institutions etc. All this will pay off big time in the long run for the US. Its not like an immediate fix like giving a $600 tax cut so people can spend it on either paying their cc debts off or buying some new clothes. Unfortunately people nowadays have the attention span of a fruit fly.

“The global quarterly poll of investors and analysts who are Bloomberg subscribers finds that 77 percent of U.S…” How can the article claim Bloomberg subscribers as investors? “Traders” more appropriate.

gth763s Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “The global quarterly poll of investors and > analysts who are Bloomberg subscribers finds that > 77 percent of U.S…” > > How can the article claim Bloomberg subscribers as > investors? “Traders” more appropriate. Exactly…this poll is nothing but a spin machine. As far as the economy is concerned, I can see a gradual pickup (at least where I live) with more people shopping, eating out, etc. than the doom and gloom last year. Things are slowly but surely getting better. It will take a while though, but as a I said, a lot of people have the attention span of a fruit fly.

PtrainerNY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Jan. 22 (Bloomberg) – U.S. investors > overwhelmingly see President Barack Obama as > anti-business and question his ability to manage a > financial crisis, according to a Bloomberg > survey. > > The global quarterly poll of investors and > analysts who are Bloomberg subscribers finds that > 77 percent of U.S. respondents believe Obama is > too anti-business and four-out-of-five are only > somewhat confident or not confident of his ability > to handle a financial emergency. > > The poll also finds a decline in Obama’s overall > favorability rating one year after taking office. > He is viewed favorably by 27 percent of U.S. > investors. In an October poll, 32 percent in the > U.S. held a positive impression. > > “Investors no longer feel they can trust their > instincts to take risks,” said poll respondent > David Young, a managing director for a broker > dealer in New York. Young cited Obama’s efforts to > trim bonuses and earnings, make health care his > top priority over jobs and plans to tax “the rich > or advantaged.” > > Carlos Vadillo, a fixed-income analyst at Wells > Fargo Securities LLC in San Francisco, said Obama > has been in a “constant war” with the banking > system, using “fat-cat bankers and other misnomers > to describe a business model which supports a > large portion of America.” > > Europe, Asia > > Outside the U.S., Obama continues to get high > marks with three-quarters or more of investors in > Europe and Asia viewing him favorably. These > rankings bring his global favorability rating to > 60 percent among all poll respondents. > > When it comes to his ability to manage a financial > crisis, 55 percent of Europeans say they are > either mostly or very confident; Among Asian > respondents, 59 percent say they are somewhat > confident or not confident; 38 percent expressed > confidence. > > Unlike other recent presidents, Obama hasn’t > selected a leading business executive for his > cabinet or a top advisory role. One year after > taking office, he is coping with a jobless rate > hovering around 10 percent and a federal deficit > that rose to $1.4 trillion last year. In response, > he has proposed a fee on as many as 50 large > financial firms and yesterday called for limiting > the size and trading activities of financial > institutions as a way to reduce risk-taking. > > -------------------------------------------------- > ------------ > Interesting article in how Europe and Asia love > him but US investors don’t… Hopefully he realizes > US investors are the only ones who can re-elect > him. When will you ever have an original idea? A dump one is still a good try.

I wonder if 77% of people know what pro-business looks like…

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m in that 77% Are you an investor?

steph96 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > >At least BO he is investing in USA instead > > of wasting it on new wars. > > > Ha! Last I checked, Obama is still sending > resources to those same wars. And by “investing > in USA”, do you mean spending us into oblivion so > far that we’ll probably never be out of debt in > our lifetime? (I opposed Bush’s out of control > spending as well. BO is making that look like > child’s play.) > > He gets a higher approval rating in Europe b/c his > ideology is more aligned w/the Europeans’. If you did not have the means for your healthcare I am pretty sure you opinion would be very different.

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Did you know that Germany has a lower unemployment > rate than the US? Did you know that the US has a lower natural rate of unemployment than Germany? Germany’s unemployment rate hasn’t been lower than 6% for almost 20 years. > > As far as the war is concerned You can’t fight the > military complex. Did you even take a look at his > spending (Scientific research, Alternative energy, > infrastructure, high speed rail etc.). A majority > of the inventions we take for granted in the US > have come as a direct result of federal investment > in Universities, Hospitals, Research institutions > etc. All this will pay off big time in the long > run for the US. Its not like an immediate fix like > giving a $600 tax cut so people can spend it on > either paying their cc debts off or buying some > new clothes. More modern day innovation has been the result of private spending than govt spending.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wonder if 77% of people know what pro-business > looks like… The 77% aren’t necessarily pro-business. A third option could be indifference to-business. Also, we need to consider that the statement is “too anti-business.” It doesn’t mean that all of the 77% are completely pro-business, just that they aren’t as far down the spectrum of being anti-business as they believe BO to be. Personally, I think that most of these polls are absolute garbage. This one included. I don’t have a lot of confidence in BO, but then again, I don’t have a lot of confidence in any politician.

steph96 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > > > As far as the war is concerned You can’t fight > the > > military complex. Did you even take a look at > his > > spending (Scientific research, Alternative > energy, > > infrastructure, high speed rail etc.). A > majority > > of the inventions we take for granted in the US > > have come as a direct result of federal > investment > > in Universities, Hospitals, Research > institutions > > etc. All this will pay off big time in the long > > run for the US. Its not like an immediate fix > like > > giving a $600 tax cut so people can spend it on > > either paying their cc debts off or buying some > > new clothes. > > More modern day innovation has been the result of > private spending than govt spending. And this is the crux of the problem. Evidence to back this fact; http://66.240.200.85/news/ap/finance_business/2010/Jan/22/venture_capital_investments_decline_in_4th_qtr.html

steph96 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > marcus phoenix Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > Did you know that Germany has a lower > unemployment > > rate than the US? > > Did you know that the US has a lower natural rate > of unemployment than Germany? Germany’s > unemployment rate hasn’t been lower than 6% for > almost 20 years. That’s because the welfare programs in Germany actually encouraged people to not work instead and collect generous benefits instead of working. But in the current economic mess, they are already recovering from the recession and have a UI rate of 7 percent versus 10 percent for US (17% if you include the underemployed). > > > > As far as the war is concerned You can’t fight > the > > military complex. Did you even take a look at > his > > spending (Scientific research, Alternative > energy, > > infrastructure, high speed rail etc.). A > majority > > of the inventions we take for granted in the US > > have come as a direct result of federal > investment > > in Universities, Hospitals, Research > institutions > > etc. All this will pay off big time in the long > > run for the US. Its not like an immediate fix > like > > giving a $600 tax cut so people can spend it on > > either paying their cc debts off or buying some > > new clothes. > > More modern day innovation has been the result of > private spending than govt spending. Here’s a fact for just ONE of the Federal Research Institutes: “In 2000, a report from a Joint Economic Committee of Congress outlined the benefits of NIH research. It noted that some econometric studies had given its research, which was funded at $16 billion a year in 2000, a rate of return of 25 to 40 percent per year. It also found that of the 21 drugs with the highest therapeutic impact on society introduced between 1965 and 1992, public funding was “instrumental” for 15.”

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > steph96 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > marcus phoenix Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > > > > Did you know that Germany has a lower > > unemployment > > > rate than the US? > > > > Did you know that the US has a lower natural > rate > > of unemployment than Germany? Germany’s > > unemployment rate hasn’t been lower than 6% for > > almost 20 years. > > That’s because the welfare programs in Germany > actually encouraged people to not work instead and > collect generous benefits instead of working. But > in the current economic mess, they are already > recovering from the recession and have a UI rate > of 7 percent versus 10 percent for US (17% if you > include the underemployed). It’s worse in the Nordic states (if I am correct). The thing is that people aren’t motivated to not work, they are just more comfortable being unemployed because job growth and creation is much more fluid than it is in the US. While there is a structural problem with the welfare amount paid to unemployed problems, it’s not as much of a problem as you would think, from what I hear. No everyone is looking to get the most out of the least, like they are in the great US of A.