CFP Study Materials?

Who has done the CFP and what did you use to study? As I understand it, you don’t get textbooks when you sign up? Any super cheap study providers you can pinpoint for me? Also, any materials you can send me would be much appreciated! Thanks AF!

I took courses to fulfill the education requirements… I either bummed old books from colleagues or I got by without. With the exception of the Case Studies course (was new, none of my co-workers had to do it). I did buy Keir’s CFP review book. It was very solid collection of CFP material in one tome. Definitely not all-inclusive but I used it for my CFP Comprehensive Prep. My boss payed for everything so I gave everything to co-workers currently in the CFP program. I did not take a review course of any kind (although I hear its VERY helpful). I would recommend the Keir book though (I think it cost circa $100). One of my co-workers did the self-study option and passed… but I was doing it while taking the CFA exams so I was doing enough “self studying” and wanted a little more structure (and classes were only 4 blocks away and you can’t stay late at work if you have to jet for class).

I did the CFP about 5 years ago. I used Kaplan’s material (which may be tied in with schweser now). This was the full classes though because I didn’t have the CFA yet to challenge the exam directly. Not sure if there is a big market for just final review materials as most people must pass an accredited curriculum before sitting for the exam.

I sat for the test last July without having to do the courses and used the Schweser essential package to study on my own for about 4 months. I think it was around $400-500 for everything you could possibly need to pass.

I did Kaplan and it was fine. Material is much much lighter than CFA material. There is some seasonality with how they test and seasonality with the material. Exams are 3x per year I believe and they’ll have materials that are good for 1 year (365 day period) If you time it right you can buy used stuff on Ebay from people that passed and the material will still be good for the exam you will sit for. You can also buy old stuff that may mess you up a bit. The old info will have old income tax info, old retirement limits, old estate planning limits in the text so be careful. The content other than that is usually pretty similar.

I took the CFP in July 2008 and passed using the Keir materials primarily. Be sure to get the two comprehensive review books. The flashcards were also helpful. I also went through an excellent two-weekend live review course in Southern California. If you’re nearby, I’d highly recommend it. It’s through UCI/UCLA.

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Who has done the CFP and what did you use to > study? > > As I understand it, you don’t get textbooks when > you sign up? Any super cheap study providers you > can pinpoint for me? Also, any materials you can > send me would be much appreciated! > > Thanks AF! I think you mean Canadian CFP, because it’s different in terms of curriculum compared to the American one. Anyway, a good program is available at Oliver’s Learning: http://www.oliverslearning.com/examprep/ep_cfp_onl.php Lots of practise questions (I think you’re in Canada???)

thanks everyone for the tips. yes, i’m canadian but help from both sides of the border helps :slight_smile: the oliver exam prep looks perfect but the site says its no longer available for revision. i definitely don’t want to spend over $200 for exam prep (kaplan, etc), considering i didn’t buy kaplan stuff for the much more difficult cfa exams, i have taken the required education courses for the cfp examination and i work in wealth mgmt. really, all i need is a database of 1000 questions or so to remind me of all the trust rules and stuff like that.\ thanks for your help guys.

I used Keir review for the courses and Kaplan for the actual exam review course, it was very helpful.

GoalCFACFP Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I took the CFP in July 2008 and passed using the > Keir materials primarily. Be sure to get the two > comprehensive review books. The flashcards were > also helpful. > > I also went through an excellent two-weekend live > review course in Southern California. If you’re > nearby, I’d highly recommend it. It’s through > UCI/UCLA. I also passed it in 08. Where are you in achieving the CFA? You and I have the same goal apparently.