Help with portfolio review

So my boss gave me the assignment of reviewing one of the portfolios we have and making suggestions, one is all equity, and one is all ETFs. What sort of things should I be reporting back to him?

sounds like a good job. how do i get one like that? i know the answer.

It is a good job and I’d like to keep it, but what should I do?

My assumption is that the ETF’s are index-based, while the equities are actively managed. In this case, the ETF portfolio is likely lower cost and has lower tracking error. However, the active portfolio may produce alpha through security selection and/or sector/country weighting.

Are there any low volume ETFs? If so, I suggest: 1. Buy in your personal account 2. Suggest that your company buys that ETF 3. Watch bid go up in your personal account You win!

MsCleo must be a 22 yd old hardbody.

Anyone with a serious response?

Ms.Cleo- You’ve got a total of three posts to your name, which implies that you joined the site just to ask this question. Fair enough, but please make it easy for people to help you. Start by giving us some context around this request, as your boss could want one of any number of things.

MsCleo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anyone with a serious response? First Step: An all equity portfolio is aggressively positioned. What is the risk tolerance of the client? There are two types of risk: Willingness and Ability. Does the allocation make sense? Is it more growth or value oriented? Second: What is the general strategy, if any? Is the portfolio overweight in some areas more than others? What is your exposure to traditional asset classes, alternative assets, single equities…? What is the allocation to international and emerging markets? Third: Unless there are 100+ individual equity positions take a look at each specific stock. What are you seeing? Is it mostly blue chips, intl conglomerates, bio techs, etc…Do you see any flyers in the portfolio (penny stocks, pink sheets, bio techs, etc…the risky stuff)? Find some equity research reports on the names you are not familiar with. Focus on the quality of these companies because that will tell you a lot about the risk profile of the client. You could add in a dozen other steps if you wanted. Start from the top down. Think big and then work your way into the details.

Thanks Chuck, I appreciate it, I will certainly look into all of those things. Also if I wanted to see how this portfolio had done say yearly for the past 5 years, does anyone know I good site I could look to?

MsCleo you have got to be fine to have gotten that job and being this clueless…

packattack4 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MsCleo must be a 22 yd old hardbody. A/S/L?

Pics or gtfo

Totally agree with Jcole21…

WWWOOOOOWWWW WOW WOW WOW that’s all I can say.

to be fair, it was a very vague assignment

SuperiorReturn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > to be fair, > it was a very vague assignment You trying to hit that, playa?

i have a thing for Jamaicans

Ummmm, really?! (sigh) … Do us a favor: stop being lazy and attempt to use your brain before posting questions like this.