A tale of two contrasting stories today

Here’s what’s going on in China. Top Test Scores From Shanghai Stun Educators http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/education/07education.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=homepage And here’s what’s going on the USA. In Kentucky, Noah’s Ark Theme Park Is Planned http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/06/us/06ark.html?bl Which country will be on top? Which country will be lucky to be relegated to obscurity and obsolesence? You decide.

those 15 yr olds are ready to take the CFA exam!

2 things. 1. scores are biased only to Shanghai. Article: “the scores from Shanghai — an industrial powerhouse… that is a magnet for the best students in the country — are by NO means representative of all of China.” 2. A Chinese industrial city having high test scores is not surprising at all. Asia is all about the test score, at the sacrifice of everything else (sports, extracurriculars, clubs, social EQ) "Chinese students spend less time than American students on athletics, music and other activities not geared toward success on exams in core subjects. When it comes to success, people skills are just as important as math skills.

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > When it comes to success, people skills are just > as important as math skills. yeah yeah … So people skills won the space race for the US?

and they cheat like crazy

thommo77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > and they cheat like crazy Sure … and the test is biased towards Chinese people by focusing more on math.

"I have people skills! . . . " http://vodpod.com/watch/1582241-office-space-i-have-people-skillsvideo

There’s an article in the WSJ with more info. It seems that Macao is also on the list at #12 for Math and #18 for Science… I bet gambling helps with math and science, right?

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Which country will be on top? One thing, China does a horrible job retaining those homegrown talent and the best and brightest usually leave the country. I don’t have the stat but if I recall correctly, about 30~40% of the graduating class from places like Tshinghua and PKU (best schools in China) move overseas to either continue their education or pursue job opportunities. Guess what is their #1 choice? Speaking from personal experience, I immigrated to the U.S. about 10 years ago and like most of my Chinese-American friends, I will never consider going back. And I think as long as America continues to embrace and welcome talented people from other parts of the world, it will be on top.

Brain drain is more of a short-medium term issue for China though. Immigration of elite citizens from developing countries to developed countries is not a new thing. However, at the rate that China is growing, there will soon be equal if not better opportunities there than in the west.

$tarving_Banker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > marcus phoenix Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Which country will be on top? > > One thing, China does a horrible job retaining > those homegrown talent and the best and brightest > usually leave the country. I don’t have the stat > but if I recall correctly, about 30~40% of the > graduating class from places like Tshinghua and > PKU (best schools in China) move overseas to > either continue their education or pursue job > opportunities. Guess what is their #1 choice? > > Speaking from personal experience, I immigrated to > the U.S. about 10 years ago and like most of my > Chinese-American friends, I will never consider > going back. And I think as long as America > continues to embrace and welcome talented people > from other parts of the world, it will be on top. You were right, U.S does has better quality of life compare to China, wages is higher, quality of heath cares is better…etc. But for someone in their 20s or 30s. China is a fascinating place to live if you want “models and bottles” sort of lifestyle.

on a related theme, here’s whats happenin’ in the USA: http://web.mit.edu/research/ in meantime, back in China: http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2010/11/26/China-lags-in-scientific-literacy/UPI-35141290752072/

WTF Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > You were right, U.S does has better quality of > life compare to China, wages is higher, quality of > heath cares is better…etc. But for someone in > their 20s or 30s. China is a fascinating place to > live if you want “models and bottles” sort of > lifestyle. But the best models are here. No one can disagree with that.

Have you been to China? There aren’t that many models there, let’s be honest. Hong Kong /= China. Besides HK in Asia, Tokyo is off the charts for models but it costs like $1B / USD per day to live there and have any kind of enjoyable lifestyle (Roppongi Hill… holla). Not really relevant to this thread, but just sayin’. Anyway, there shouldn’t be much doubt that China is going to bust out the whuppin’ stick on the U.S. eventually. Most Americans are fat, lazy and stupid compared to people from a lot of other countries around the world, let alone China.

murders&executions Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > WTF Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > You were right, U.S does has better quality of > > life compare to China, wages is higher, quality > of > > heath cares is better…etc. But for someone > in > > their 20s or 30s. China is a fascinating place > to > > live if you want “models and bottles” sort of > > lifestyle. > > But the best models are here. No one can disagree > with that. Ya, but comon models here are untouchable. In China its like fish in a barrel.

I am surprised nobody is talking about the second article. This is in addition to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_Museum Only in America.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Have you been to China? There aren’t that many > models there, let’s be honest. Hong Kong /= China. > Besides HK in Asia, Tokyo is off the charts for > models but it costs like $1B / USD per day to live > there and have any kind of enjoyable lifestyle > (Roppongi Hill… holla). Not really relevant to > this thread, but just sayin’. > > Anyway, there shouldn’t be much doubt that China > is going to bust out the whuppin’ stick on the > U.S. eventually. Most Americans are fat, lazy and > stupid compared to people from a lot of other > countries around the world, let alone China. misinformed a bit are we? Best-looking chinese chicks come from Shanghai fool

murders&executions Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > WTF Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > You were right, U.S does has better quality of > > life compare to China, wages is higher, quality > of > > heath cares is better…etc. But for someone > in > > their 20s or 30s. China is a fascinating place > to > > live if you want “models and bottles” sort of > > lifestyle. > > But the best models are here. No one can disagree > with that. by models and bottles, he means hello kitty figurines and future cola.

No way, not even close in Shanghai. First of all, the male female ratio in China is retarded. Secondly, most Chinese girls are not that attractive in the face. Yeah, they might (mostly) have reasonably petite / attractive bodies, but you could hardly say they are model quality. Hong Kong is a different story though.

Girls in China have no problem finding guys, seeing as Asian culture highly values a son, and the 1 child policy. The ratio is many guys per girl. So, you don’t have to be that attractive. It’s a lack of options. Guys are doing everything from housework, cooking, cleaning and making the money to score any girl. And those that give up are starting to move out the country in search for a mate.