Question for the Business Valuation people in here

If you had the following two offers, which one would you accept? I think it’s kind of a no-brainer, but was just curious for some insight or other thoughts Big 4 Valuation Group Equity Research at BB

Diesel, I work in valuation and would probably take option 2. How did you obtain interviews for equity research positions with a bval background? It seems to me that the skills acquired from bval seem pretty transferable to ER, but I am curious to get your take.

I wrote a solid cover letter and my resume highlighted skills obtained in valuation that would be transferable to ER. I actually had interviews with multiple banks. In my experience, ER people have no idea what business valuation is. I viewed this as a positive - something that gave me a blank canvas which enabled me to sell myself and skills to the interviewers. I really enjoyed working in business valuation. Some of the projects were very interesting, and the exposure to M&A models of public companies, private companies, and PE shops is priceless in my opinion.

bro, is this a joke, the second option all day

Diesel, would you mind if I asked you a few questions offline? If you don’t want to post your email here mine is thommo77 at hotmail

how many years did you spend in B. Val?

thommo77 - I emailed you starbuk - about 5…r u in bval? what do you specialize in?

Too late for me to take option 2. I probably would have 10 years ago though.

dieselbp67 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > thommo77 - I emailed you > > starbuk - about 5…r u in bval? what do you > specialize in? Can you also please send me an email as well? dhyun4 at gmail. com Thanks!

diesel - email me at [redacted] when you have a chance, I want to reply to you there

^ Please cc me on that email.

Fascinating that they’re handing out BB Equity Research/Analysis jobs to people who can’t answer this question.

It’s been more than a year, so I wonder what he decided and how he’s making out?

I would take Big 4 Valuation group. (I’m also a CPA, which might skew my perspective a little.)

Equity research (in the sense of covering large public companies) doesn’t really interest me. I’m more interested in the M&A side, and 95% of M&A is done in the middle market. Experience at a Big 4 valuation group takes you very, very far if you want to work in Corporate Development.

EDIT–Wow! I didn’t notice that this thread was two years old. I still stand by my answer, nonetheless.

DOH! Higgmond = Fail for basic math.

starbuk - apologies, I don’t really browse the forums much since they changed the format. Your email is redacted, but we spoke a couple years ago so feel free to email me @hotmail.

Hope all is well buddy.