Post your successful networking stories in this thread

I was reading that other discussion about that older guy who just graduated and couldn’t find a job. I noticed he got a fair number of responses to “network” instead of applying through online sources. What’s royally pissed me off in the past is that I’ve gotten similar sort of responses but from people who haven’t been successful networking themselves and don’t know someone else who has. It drives me nuts. So, let’s hear how cold calling landed you an awesome job. Bonus points if you didn’t go to Wharton and spend your junior summer at Blackstone.

i was an event-bartender at a hotel/conference center in college and was able to network an internship at the local merrill lynch branch (later cancelled due to budget cuts), an interview with shell corp fin, an interview with genworth, and recieved $2-bill from an ex-nfl player. through organizations i was involed in i knew people who had placed at pwc and got two interviews there and also did case studies and competitions with ge and deloitte; deloitte offered an internship and i interviewed ge’s fmtp program. i decided to stay in my home state to be closer to family and used old contacts to get hr and recruiter phone numbers to hit up. landed a bunch of job reqs and interviewed for a couple of months until i found a job i liked (hated it deathly about 3 months after accepting and so my job-jumping began).

Networking Success 1. I was at a career fair speaking to blondie HR representing a boutique IB. She was explaining what they were looking and spoke condescendingly after pointing out my crappity undergrad. She then said, “Can you tell me what you know about boutique IB?” I said, “Yes, I know this this and this, and I know Justin well (MD of the group hiring).” Immediately my resume came off the pile and some notes were written in the margin. I got an interview, but no offer. 2. I got laid off during 2008 due to a crappity market. I quickly got an offer from an acquaintance at a absolute return fund whom I conversed with often. 3. I was due in court for a serious traffic related instance. As my attorney and I are speaking outside of the court room, the judge walks by, smiles, and says, “Hello Quant!” My attorney’s head snapped and looked me cold in the eye and said, “How do you know the judge!?” The judge was a member of a organization I belonged to and I helped him get the doors of his sports car unlocked via Onstar after he slammed his trunk leaving his keys in his golf bag. My attorney got this cocky smile and said, “Good, you got nothing to worry about.” Luckily I didn’t. I could go on. I belong to a few organizations (University Alumni, CFA Society, Nonprofit Groups, Charity Organizations, etc.) and meet a ton of people at the various events held. Networking is a byproduct of the primary focus of the event. Overall I’m a genuine person who has a good time meeting others and learning more about their success. People love it when you ask them to explain how they got where they are. Having this shared interest is a good way to build a professional connection. Beyond the organizations I belong to, many of those individuals in my network say, “You should talk to my friend Joey, Chad, and Arnie if you’re interested in financial services.” It becomes a snowball effect in a hurry.

OP asked about Cold Calling. If you know an acquaintance like quant here, that doesnt qualify. You already have something of a relationship with that person. If you know someone that knows someone and can make the intro, its very different than meeting strangers by yourself

I networked a lot in business school and still receive calls from my name floating around. My current position now is from networking, Met someone at an event who introduced me to a VP of a small shop. His client/friend and mentioned he was looking for someone. boom

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you know someone that knows someone and can make the intro, its very different than meeting strangers by yourself why do you have to rely on someone else to make the intro? the only difference between ‘cold’ calling and ‘warm’ calling is that in ‘warm’ calling you already have a relationship of some sort (similar friend, team, company, etc.) beyond that, they’re exactly the same. relationship building is an art and everyone should dabble in it. here’s something you have in common with a recruiter (or anyone else): you’re both people.

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > here’s something you have in common with a recruiter (or anyone else): you’re both people. I’ve never heard someone speak so highly of recruiters/HR!

I’m personally not a fan of what most people consider networking. I think swapping business cards or speaking to them once is unlikely to help you. However, building on going relationships with a few key professionals over several meetings, etc will help.

I tend to think of networking as having some old buddy who becomes successful and offers you a job. It’s hard to go around handing out your business card and hoping that people will like you, particularly if you have no redeeming academic or professional credentials.

Does Linkedin actually have use? Do people really “Cold email” others who are in industry to try to get a leg up? Sounds more weird than helpful. Edit: I’ve never used the website.

LPoulin133 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mar350 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > here’s something you have in common with a > recruiter (or anyone else): you’re both people. > > I’ve never heard someone speak so highly of > recruiters/HR! hahahaha - yea, but i also think that’s where the simlarities end as well

I’ve successfully networked with your mom on a number of occasions, if you know what I mean.

One important thing about networking is most (if not virtually all) of the good jobs in finance are not advertised through the internet. Companies ask their analysts, associates, directors, etc. if they know others who would be good candidates for the job. I am not a master networker. That is an area I need to work on but I got a private equity interview this week through my network. I would never have known about this position if it weren’t for the contact. Even though this company has a Careers section on their website, the specific position I interviewed for wasn’t listed there.