Series 65

Can’t seem to find too much information on this exam on this forum. Anyone taken it here? If so, any tips? I have been studying for about 1.5 mos, but don’t really have a great idea of where I stand. Do the Investopedia exams in any way resemble the real thing?

I took it back in '06. Used the kaplan premier set for series 65. Just about perfect prep. For anyone not having a problem with the CFA program, the exam will most likely be cake. The series 65 is just like any of the other canned regulatory exams. Straight forward. No tricks. Just making sure that you don’t claim ignorance when you break the law and that you have a rote level of understanding. Good luck and let us know what you thought of the test.

Ghibli Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I took it back in '06. Used the kaplan premier set > for series 65. Just about perfect prep. For anyone > not having a problem with the CFA program, the > exam will most likely be cake. The series 65 is > just like any of the other canned regulatory > exams. Straight forward. No tricks. Just making > sure that you don’t claim ignorance when you break > the law and that you have a rote level of > understanding. > > Good luck and let us know what you thought of the > test. What Ghibli said. I took it several years back and used I think Dearborn to prep. Very, very, very boring but also very, very straightforward. Just know the regulatory stuff and make sure you’re passing the pre-tests, you’re good to go.

If you’ve at least passed level 1 just study the rules/regs… it ridiculously easy. I took it before my I started study for level 1; I only studied the rules/regs (for a couple days). I got like 60% on that part and around 90% in the finance/Econ stuff. 1.5 months is way too much time for that.

Thanks for your responses, I appreciate the info. I did pass L1, however this is apparently turning out harder than it should be, but I should be good with one more week of study. Which providers’ practice exams did you guys find to be close to the real one?

I reviewed the free online study guide from Investopedia (link below) for literally a few hours and passed the Series 65 exam with a score of 90%; it is really not a difficult exam. http://www.investopedia.com/exam-guide/series-65/investment-advisor-registration/default.asp

Passed the Series 65 Exam

Designed by the North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA) and administered by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the Series 65 is an exam and securities license required for individuals to act as investment advisers in the US. The Series 65 exam, known formally as the Uniform Investment Adviser Law Examination, covers laws, regulations, ethics, and various topics important to the role of a financial adviser

The exam consists of 130 scored questions. Candidates have 180 minutes to complete the exam. In order for a candidate to pass the Series 65 exam, he/she must correctly answer at least 94 of the 130 scored questions.

Number of items-130 (Format multiple choice)
Duration 180 Min
Passing score 94/130 correct
Cost $175
Effective date 01/1989 – present

My journey:

The key to clearing the exam is to understand the material and practice as much as you can. What I did was I solved all multiple-choice questions (10 at a time with 10 mins available) and noted the questions I got wrong. Since I did all my education in Bangladesh, I had to put more time to understand US specific concepts. It is very important that when you study you have in mind what you will be doing before the exam day.

From my training tests, what I realized is that on the off chance that you are solid and steady or arranged enough, the majority of the occasions the appropriate response that your instinct advises you is right, will be the correct answer. Consequently, look out during the test and notice on the off chance that you are changing an excessive number of answers or re-thinking yourself. I purposefully didn’t have any desire to change my answers however there were numerous questions I wasn’t totally certain about the appropriate responses. I believed that regardless of whether I don’t feel certain, I will go with my hunch and let it continue as before.
I didn’t leave any question clear prior to moving to the following question. It is consistently protected to stamp some answer as opposed to leaving it clear. I was apprehensive I won’t have time toward the finish to return and react to the unanswered inquiries. Something is superior to nothing.
I primarily want to say this- If I can do this, so can you! So for those who have a deadline or short duration window to prepare, don’t give up hope. Make focus and consistency your friends are don’t give up until the last day. Create a study plan immediately, pick and prioritize the right resources (very important since you have less time), quit any elements that distract you from your study and focus on the end goal of achieving the exam. Aim for the stars and you will reach the sky. This was my MOTTO all along. I did not just want to pass the exam, I aimed at above target performance, hoping at least that will help me pass the exam with bare minimum. I was truly surprised when I did actually achieve what I set our for.
Another advice I would like to give from my experience is reset your mindset to “confidence”. Removing your anxiety (during prep and in the exam as well) and feeling confident will make a huge difference in the way you answer questions in the mock exams as well as the real exam. Try to distract yourself from fear (if you are feeling scared or anxious) and focus on positive thoughts. Fill your mind with the confidence and motivation to ace the exam and don’t give any scope or place to fear.

Free practice resources

As I was searching some website for practice resources, I found that all of them were asking money to take a mock test. But I wanted free resources, after going one after another site I finally found a website that lets you try more than 100 sets of free sample questions. It was enough for passing the exam. You can try it yourself. It is such a big help for the candidates.

Google CertDemy

In the website you will find all the practice questions for series 65 exam. There are more than 60 sets of practice questions paper you will find. These questions are enough for 2 months practice.

The Series 65 exam may be complicated, but with the right study materials, you can pass with a grade you are proud of.

1 Like

thanks tons for sharing! much appreciate and congraz!