"....still interviewing other candidates...."

Does this usually mean a candidate has no shot? I’ve done final rounds with a couple of sell-side shops which all went very well, but got the “…still interviewing other candidates…” response.

nah, just means they actually have other interviews scheduled they still have to do

If they gave you “still interviewing” without a time frame, it’s probably not a good sign. If they gave you a time frame, that means they’re more interested in you and don’t want you to get discouraged

I actually did get a time frame for both…

then take a breath and relax.

Well, if all else fails, offer them your body.

pimp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I actually did get a time frame for both… I have been in this situation as well after a few interviews with a firm, contacted them a few times after they said they would let me know and they never got back to me. I have a feeling they didn’t hire anyone and were just testing the waters for what they could get. I really wanted the job but oh well.

Hard to tell what it means exactly. Could be that they’re early in the recruiting process and have no reason to expedite things since they’re waiting for the ideal candidate, or that they’re just undecided / uninterested in your candidacy. I interviewed at a hedge fund last week and got a similar response. I do know that they’re early in their recruiting process, but could have also been that my investment approach / background is different from what the fund was looking for. I felt I did well in the interview but could understand if they thought I wasn’t the perfect “fit.” I’ll probably send them a follow-up e-mail next week to see what happens.

What is your investment approach?

For the last several years, it seems that financial services firms have been taking their time with recruiting. They can afford to leisurely interview 12 candidates for one job, because chances are most of the candidates will still be interested next month too. I understand that back in, say, 2007, things were quite different. Banks would interview candidates and, if you seemed halfway competent, make you an offer on the spot before one of their competitors could snap you up.

More or less always happens at full employment. All the best people are employed, the marginal new employee is the next step up from the unemployable.