CPA, FRM and CAIA instead of CFA

I am a CPA and was hoping that a FRM and CAIA, with the CPA, might be thought of having the same weight as a CFA. Trying to go to analyst position in regulatory agency. Am I crazy? I would still have to take the FRM and CAIA, but from what I’ve read the CFA is a b— kicker.

Wildcat Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would still have to take the FRM and CAIA, but from what I’ve read the CFA is a b— kicker. So you think it’d be easier to do the FRM and the CAIA yet want it to hold the same weight as the CFA?

95% of the western population does not know what the CFA is. 99.99% of western populations do not know what either the FRM or CAIA is. why would you spend just as much time getting designations that are unknown by almost all of your peers, including financial professionals.

Hmm, I don’t think laziness should be a motivation in choosing which of these exams to take.

Either option would take a few years to do. Why not just try to get your foot in the door first and see what others who are there would advise you on for moving up? It is a regulatory agency, they may not care.

I was thinking of studying for FRM and CAIA and hedging my risk by teaching CFA.

buck up lil bronco and do the CFA. Unless you want to go alternatives or risk management only, then do the more specific one. I would think regulatory agency L1 or L2 would be good enough to at least get an interview (depending on your work experience and academic background).

CPA, CAIA, FRM, + CFP = CFA Just to let you know… you’ll need to get the CFP to get the appropriate weighting and have something similar to CFA Here in the AF community we refer to this as “Alternative CFA Construction” AKA “Mosaic Construction”

Have you considered MBA?

Uh, I would run away from someone who has CPA + CAIA + FRM + CFP. That’s just weird.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Uh, I would run away from someone who has CPA + > CAIA + FRM + CFP. That’s just weird. someone who has that combo is in IT still trying to break into finance

OK, CFA it is. Next question: CFA + FRM or CFA + CAIA or just CFA? (I already have JD)

This got to be a joke.

Wildcat Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > OK, CFA it is. Next question: CFA + FRM or CFA + > CAIA or just CFA? (I already have JD) How about a degree in witchcraft while you’re at it.

CFA + MBA

Everything you mention other than the CFA is pretty specialized. After going through the CFA you’ll be exempt from part of the PRM, so that may be a better option than the FRM unless you’re really focusing on risk management (and think it’s going to be worth it, after more research). The CAIA is very, very interesting and a very good complement to the CFA in my opinion, but as far as I can tell it’s doubtful it will be of much value to you professionally unless you’re already in one of certain specific businesses.

Whenever I see someone w/ multiple other designations (ie CIMA, CAIA) in a position which would benefit from having the CFA, I generally assume the guy just got the other designations because he couldn’t get through the CFA exams. It’s like people think they can compensate for lack of CFA by just adding a bunch of other letters.

What I would recommend is forgetting the CFA and trying to get something that’ll really stand out. Have you considered getting both an MBA + EMBA?

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What I would recommend is forgetting the CFA and > trying to get something that’ll really stand out. > Have you considered getting both an MBA + EMBA? As I understand it that entitles you to call yourself “MBAEABM”.

Wasn’t this in the level 2 derivatives curriculum? How to make a synthetic CFA?