Job spec - Advice

Have posted a job spec below, just wondering what people here think of this role, and future careers prospects out of the role. Its with an asset management company with 44 billion dollors of assets under management. Its obviously a pure back office role. For someone who is looking for a analyst position with an investment management/asset management company what do you think? Please be as honest as you like! ‘Valuation Administrator’ Key Responsibilities: • Calculating the NAV daily • Producing cash & margin reconciliations • Accrued Income/Expenses reconciliations • Monitoring Unit pricing • Producing formal reports • Achieving prompt investigation and resolution of any outstanding issues • Understanding and implementing valuation’s procedures • Issuing prices to dealing • Liaise with external brokers the maintenance of collateral • Settlement of external margin calls • Preparation of trading sign off as part of valuation process • Settlement of internal fund trades • Inputting trades to the fund accounting system • Complete the FX process for the Valuation section • Settling of futures, options, internal company deals and DVP/RVP trades for the Multi Manager Valuations section • Maintaining and developing day to day customer relationships with internal and external clients Required Qualifications/Work Experience: • At least one year’s previous experience working in the funds industry • Third level Accounting, Finance or Business/Economics qualification (Cert, Diploma, Degree etc.) an advantage • Good knowledge of Excel and Word • SWIFT payments experience is an advantage • Smart stream experience is desirable • Invest One experience is desirable Core Competencies: • Strong administration and organisational skills • Ability to prioritise work to meet tight deadlines • Excellent attention to detail • Confident communicator • Enjoy working as part of a team • Adaptable and flexible attitude

I thought I would reply to my own post and say this is the worst job ever! But maybe it might not be so bad, if you dont have any experience

I’d rather be a teller

yea but the title ‘Valuation Administrator’ is classy

Fund Accountant

builders Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yea but the title ‘Valuation Administrator’ is > classy LOL, yes it would certainly make my CV shine

It really depends on your career goals and what other choices you have at the moment. Most people in finance are in support roles, and they seem ok.

what the heck does Third level Accounting, Finance or Business/Economics qualification mean?

It says right there what it means. In the same line: " (Cert, Diploma, Degree etc.)"

If it’s a small firm where you might get into contact with people in the department you want to go to…then maybe. If everyone in the firm likes you, and you kick a** at your job, then yeah, you might be able to swing it. If it’s a big firm, the pay and benefits will be better, but the odds of jumping to the division you want are much smaller. Typically, back office will be further away (several floors or even different building/city) than the group you want to go to. HR will consistently present the front office managers with qualified candidates; unless you’ve got a few people in HR or in your department REALLY gunning for you, the odds of you jumping over to research is probably less at a large firm.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It says right there what it means. In the same > line: " (Cert, Diploma, Degree etc.)" Each of those are very different things, and none of them have to do with a third level of anything.

This sounds like an Operations job. Essentially back office role and support the front office execute their trades. Definitely not an accounting job. Not sure what "Accounting, Finance or Business/Economics qualification " means, but might be a Bachelor’s.

dmiller385 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ohai Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > It says right there what it means. In the same > > line: " (Cert, Diploma, Degree etc.)" > > > Each of those are very different things, and none > of them have to do with a third level of anything. To clarify, In Ireland Third level simply means any further studies after secondary school (or high school as you would call it in the states). Anyway thanks for all the advice. To be honest it was a recruitment agency who rang me about this position, they saw my CV on efinancialcareers. But after thinking about it, I will probably give this one a miss, not that I am in any position to overlook potential jobs, its just I realy hate fund accountantcy roles!

Do Fund Accountants even qualify for the CFA work experience?

pedpenny Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > • Achieving prompt investigation and resolution of any outstanding issues “Hey Pedpenny, Megan Fox dropped a quarter down her blouse. Would you mind fishing it out??” now that would be an outstanding issue

dmiller385 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ohai Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > It says right there what it means. In the same > > line: " (Cert, Diploma, Degree etc.)" > > > Each of those are very different things, and none > of them have to do with a third level of anything. Third level means post-secondary schooling, i.e. something awarded after secondary school (high school). That is usually a Bachelors degree, but it looks like they will accept some other things.