Question MBA vs. CFA

Sorry, I’m still at work and needed a lift.

call a cab?

I get a lot of questions about MBA: its value, how to get into a top program, whether it beats a CFA. Too many people forget however to round out their entire profile. This includes demonstration of a ability to manage one’s own finances. Think about it. You’re reading this forum because you want a job in finance: you want people to pay you to manage their money. But they won’t do that if your own financial house isn’t in order. So while you’re hanging out at gmatclub, don’t forget the occasional time out from studying to pay attention to maintaining your payment schedules, reducing credit card balances, and frequently checking your credit report for errors. Remember: FICO > GMAT.

DarienHacker - I think this is an important key that many people look over. I have my thread on importance of MBA with CFA in this same forum. I am having a hard time justifying a major MBA that costs upwards of $100k and above. While I am sure it pays off in the long run, I wonder if its just as good to focus that much time, effort, and money on an MBA when you could be using it to better yourself at your current position and working on networks there. I work for a major corporation and I know that the several guys immediately above me (I can think of the next four guys) either don’t have their MBA, or got it after landing their current positions. I haven’t looked to much into financing an MBA, but this money people seem to throw at MBAs is crazy, in my eyes. For example, if you manage to finance at 5% over 20 years, a $100k MBA loan is $650+ a month.

Totally depends if you need an MBA to get where you are going. If you don’t need it, take that same money and invest in a rental property, slowly broaden your base and pretty soon you’re independently wealthy. It’s really just cash flow and making sure you are working with somebody who knows the market and hopefully has some experience.

Lift and separate?

Everyone realizes he was joking, right? …Right?

I have spoken to everyone and, yes, they do.

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have spoken to everyone and, yes, they do. Did you talk with Dick Childs? He may have missed the memo.

I think this is the first time this has ever been brought up on this forum…

SMW Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think this is the first time this has ever been > brought up on this forum… Indeed, a compelling new topic that really makes one think.

Danny Boy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > brain_wash_your_face Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I have spoken to everyone and, yes, they do. > > Did you talk with Dick Childs? He may have missed > the memo. Wow, is there a comedy routine of yours I can watch on Netflix? That is INCREDIBLY original material there. Apologies for being new on here and missing the joke line. Feel free to laugh away at myself and ‘Danny Boy’s’ roasting of me.

I was trying to cover my own ass, rich. There were multiple jokes posted by the time I asked if everyone knew it was a joke… had to throw ya under the bus since you were one who took it seriously. Welcome to AF :slight_smile:

I like where this is going - lets start posting on L1 forums things like “Can I pass if I start studying now” or “Can L1 get me into BB”

Ok, if you’re stuck on a deserted island, which is more useful - MBA or CFA? CFA is a pretty big piece of paper, could start a few fires with it, and the tube it comes in will probably be useful. How does your typical MBA compare (I’m assuming ‘online’ MBAs are probably even more useless here)?

richardbchilds Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Danny Boy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > brain_wash_your_face Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I have spoken to everyone and, yes, they do. > > > > Did you talk with Dick Childs? He may have > missed > > the memo. > > Wow, is there a comedy routine of yours I can > watch on Netflix? That is INCREDIBLY original > material there. > > Apologies for being new on here and missing the > joke line. Feel free to laugh away at myself and > ‘Danny Boy’s’ roasting of me. I give dick about a week.

Danny Boy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was trying to cover my own ass, rich. There > were multiple jokes posted by the time I asked if > everyone knew it was a joke… had to throw ya > under the bus since you were one who took it > seriously. > > Welcome to AF :slight_smile: Thank you for the welcome! I admit I missed the joke. Consider this my hazing…? Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > richardbchilds Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Danny Boy Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > brain_wash_your_face Wrote: > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > ----- > > > > I have spoken to everyone and, yes, they > do. > > > > > > Did you talk with Dick Childs? He may have > > missed > > > the memo. > > > > Wow, is there a comedy routine of yours I can > > watch on Netflix? That is INCREDIBLY original > > material there. > > > > Apologies for being new on here and missing the > > joke line. Feel free to laugh away at myself > and > > ‘Danny Boy’s’ roasting of me. > > > I give dick about a week. I realize that you are just trying to get me worked up, but I got that name a lot in high school and college. I realized that many of the people that thought it was humurous now live in their parent’s basements and make money making sandwiches or folding t-shirts. Its now much more entertaining to me than it is others. And I’ll be around longer than a week.

LPoulin133 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ok, if you’re stuck on a deserted island, which is > more useful - MBA or CFA? > > CFA is a pretty big piece of paper, could start a > few fires with it, and the tube it comes in will > probably be useful. How does your typical MBA > compare (I’m assuming ‘online’ MBAs are probably > even more useless here)? Did you purchase one of those fancy frames for your MBA diploma?

DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > …Too many people forget however to round out > their entire profile. This includes demonstration > of a ability to manage one’s own finances. > > Think about it. You’re reading this forum because > you want a job in finance: you want people to pay > you to manage their money. But they won’t do that > if your own financial house isn’t in order. > > So while you’re hanging out at gmatclub, don’t > forget the occasional time out from studying to > pay attention to maintaining your payment > schedules, reducing credit card balances, and > frequently checking your credit report for errors. > > > Remember: FICO > GMAT. Uhhh, before we start talking about rubbing UofP grads together to start a fire, can we back up to DarienHacker’s totally slept-on post? I think that this is an excellent point - I’m frequently blown away by how crappily people making retarded sums of money - whose profession could be described by a well-meaning-but-poorly-translated-foreigner as “money” - handle their personal money. 1 of many terrible examples: I remember a senior employee confessing in summer of 2007 that he had a subprime mortgage, and that the credit rumblings were “scary stuff”. I was 22 and I remember just being like…::facepalm::. How well do y’all handle your personal FINNANCEZ? How well do you think folks in finance do with their personal money, in general?