Need Advice- Entry level job offer

I just got a job after being rejected by about 12 companies over the last 6 months. The salary is 62k and the target bonus is 15% with bonus capped at 30%. What other questions should I be asking? I have a pamphlet about the vacation days and health care and other stuff like that.

Ask if they can up it to 65… Otherwise, congrats and work hard.

If you don’t already know, get a good idea of what the stated exit opportunities are (where they expect you to go inside the company) and what the alternate exit opps are (where you theoretically could go, inside and outside the company). Congrats!

Ask if they will help out with CFA costs.

I wouldn’t ask any questions. I would accept the job if I thought it would lead me down a good path (not caring about 3k) or reject if it wouldn’t. Asking about exit ops is something you do during the interview process, not after offer (which will make them think you’re already on your way out).

… asking about exit opps is something you do outside of your firm, i.e. on forums like this one.

Do not ask about exit opps at this point. It can never hurt to ask for more money, 3k is reasonable. And remember there are really only two times where you have leverage to negotiate salary, on the way in and on the way out. Congrats.

Don’t ask anything. Congrats.

For entry level employees, I’d be skeptical about having my first impression with a new employer be asking for more money, especially after I’m sure you just got finished telling them how passionate you are about the industry in interviews. If both sides are way off on salary expectations, then that’s a different story, but I feel like asking for 3k extra can make you look petty. If it’s a job you want and the salary is within your acceptable range, then I think you should just accept it.

FIresearch Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For entry level employees, I’d be skeptical about > having my first impression with a new employer be > asking for more money, especially after I’m sure > you just got finished telling them how passionate > you are about the industry in interviews. If both > sides are way off on salary expectations, then > that’s a different story, but I feel like asking > for 3k extra can make you look petty. If it’s a > job you want and the salary is within your > acceptable range, then I think you should just > accept it. +1

Thank you all. Making the call now. Not asking for anything else.

62k seems really high for entry level. That’s what entry level ib analysts make, what exactly would you be doing?

That sounds about the market rate for entry level. Plus there is a 30% bonus cap, so about $81k for the best people in whatever job this is. IB analysts can make $100k+ in the first year, but probably with worse hours.

Right but ib analysts base is 99.9% of the time 55-65k. Their bonuses are higher. I’m assuming the op is doing ER or IB.

Nope- I’m probably the only recent college grad in this hiring group. The hours are very surprising. Standard 40 hours per week. Went to a state school and most of the people I went to school with are starting in the low 40’s (hence the reason I didn’t negotiate). My cousin is in I-banking in Chicago and started at 120k (total compensation), but he works ~80-100 hours per week. I can’t believe how well this job pays with the amount of hours I work per week. Also, I get 23 days of vacation and the firm has 9 days of vacation, because the stock market is closed on those days. It sounds like a dream job and something a guy like me probably doesn’t deserve, but I have been rejected a dozen times so you better believe I am appreciative of this offer.

Sounds great. What area is the role in?

62k seems really high for entry level. That’s what entry level ib analysts make, what exactly would you be doing?

Pretty good offer for entry level. Take it… and you can’t beat 23 days of vacation + 9 holidays, and 40 hour work weeks! Count your blessings and be happy you landed a job in this market. Work hard and work your way up. $3k is nothing in the long run. Although, I would maybe ask for CFA costs to be subsidized… that stuff adds up.

congratulations!!!

ask to see a pic of the boss daughter