valuable financial education?

I am interested to know your thought about continuing education after you finish your CFA. I have got my CFA, and FRM and FSA (actuarial certificate). I looked at the CAIA - interesting curriculum but expensive (have to pay out of my own pocket); CPA - no required accounting courses. By the way, I am just studying for fun, not for breaking into one particular career.

roe roe how do you feel about the actuarial certificate. I actually was thinking about that but not sure how much it would connect to finance and if it would actually help in the real world. I can’t believe how high of a demand there is for actuaries. Seems they don’t have to look for a job, they only need to decide where they want to work but in finance it’s a real struggle to find find something. also input on the FRM is appreciated (I was looking into that too) I’m kind of in the same boat. I don’t want to chase letters but since finance is what I love I’m always interested in learning more. I currently have the CFP designation and about to recieve the CFA charter.

I don’t work as an actuary though having the FSA certificate perhaps “qualifies” me. I have worked with many bright actuaries. The certficate, in my opinion, is valuable and covers finance nicely, though may not be as deep and broad and practical as some people might claim. In the real world, it probably gives you a high probability of having a stable and high-paying job if you are not too picky - the downside is that the process can be lengthy and sometimes hard (a lot of sacrifice for sure). As to the FRM, I myself learned a lot, on the quantitative side in particular. Does your job require CFP? I looked at this as well but know very little about it. Is it mainly client-facing – advising clients on retirement, employee benefits, investment and tax planning, etc?

I came to Canada for a CFP postgrad program at a college, after I obtained my designation but in the process I got interested in the CFA program. The CFP was useful for my current job but ideally I want to switch from this side of the industry. I was thinking about the FRM as a nice complementary addition but could not justify going through another program before I get a better paid job doing more complex stuff. FRM would not help me at my current job. Quant is my weak point so it might be good for me. CFP taught me more than I thought it would. Makes you focus on the client not the investment. If on the investment side it’s arguable that you can ‘add value’ or alpha or whatever you want to call it, the CFP allows you to clearly produce benefits for clients due to tax, estate, portfolio planning (so basically what you were saying). But it’s most likely useless when you don’t deal with retail/individual investors

The CAIA is indeed expensive but for what it’s worth I thought it was really interesting (I just passed the Level II exam in March) and provided an excellent bang for one’s buck time spent-wise (and probably literally too). It is pretty clearly not as well-known or valuable for one’s career as the CFA Program but I thought the material itself was almost as valuable as the CFA material and a really excellent complement to the CFA Program. If you’re into the sort of thing the CAIA deals with of course. If you want further thoughts on it feel free to e-mail me at the address below.

florinpop Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I came to Canada for a CFP postgrad program at a > college, after I obtained my designation but in > the process I got interested in the CFA program. > The CFP was useful for my current job but ideally > I want to switch from this side of the industry. I > was thinking about the FRM as a nice complementary > addition but could not justify going through > another program before I get a better paid job > doing more complex stuff. FRM would not help me at > my current job. Quant is my weak point so it might > be good for me. > CFP taught me more than I thought it would. Makes > you focus on the client not the investment. If on > the investment side it’s arguable that you can > ‘add value’ or alpha or whatever you want to call > it, the CFP allows you to clearly produce > benefits for clients due to tax, estate, portfolio > planning (so basically what you were saying). But > it’s most likely useless when you don’t deal with > retail/individual investors Florinpop, what do you do on the retail/individual investor side? I am currently working as a glorified accountant and I HATE my job and I am considering moving to commercial/retail banking and sales. I am most interested in the pros and cons of such a move or even if its possible without becoming a teller or full commissions based sales person.

Asset allocations, investment research and reporting for a book of clients. We have asset allocation models we use (of course we always try to improve them), but since they are based on passive/indexing strategy is mostly a decision related to asset classes and not particular companies. Pros: even at a more basic level it’s still interesting Cons: after a while you feel like you need to move to the next level I don’t hate my job I just feel that if I don’t move I’ll only use 10% of the stuff I know (max)

florinpop Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Asset allocations, investment research and > reporting for a book of clients. We have asset > allocation models we use (of course we always try > to improve them), but since they are based on > passive/indexing strategy is mostly a decision > related to asset classes and not particular > companies. > Pros: even at a more basic level it’s still > interesting > Cons: after a while you feel like you need to move > to the next level > I don’t hate my job I just feel that if I don’t > move I’ll only use 10% of the stuff I know (max) How did you get there?

you need to find an advisor or investment counsel that have enough assets under management to have this kind of position

Florinpop, I do the same thing as you, for the same type of firm. I definitely feel like ceiling is pretty low in this type of work and want more challenging work. A coworker of mine is a FSA… you’re looking at a much longer road than the CFA. There are some threads around here about CFA vs FSA or ASA Btw, what products do you guys use? iShares, Vanguard, DFA, etc.

lowest cost indexing options usually but the structure of the index still comes first - so it could be anything etf ishares, claymore, vanguard or F class mutual funds - based on best suitability at best cost are you in US or Canada?

I’m doing a research Masters, which I hope to upgrade to a Doctorate after the first year. no more standardized tests for me thanks.

In what field?

there is a correlation between between the amount of designations you have and how shit ty your job is

^ positive or negative correlation :wink:

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In what field? Basically looking at the investment strategies and effectiveness of the self-funded retiree sector in Australia.