Chartered Accountant (Ontario) & CFA

I’ve tried searching the forum for this topic, but haven’t found anything yet. There is a lot of discussions outhere in terms of people wanting to pursue the CA and CFA (usually those in undergraduate who haven’t obtained either), but nothing really about current CAs who are looking to branch out to the finance world. So I am a CA (Chartered Accountant in Ontario) who was just recently designated (June 2010). I’ve done my usual stint in a traditional CA firm doing audit for about 3 years, and I am currently now in industry (started about 3 months ago) working in a public company with a “Senior Financial Analyst” role title. The good/bad thing is, my role actually just evolved to me spear heading and taking over major responsibilities with setting up a new ERP project and the migration of our financial reporting system. It isn’t the most ideal role, but I think I’ve taken on the responsibility because it is very technical in systems implemenation (which I seem to grasp quickly), and resource issues. Ideally my role should be (and I hope soon) will transition to getting involved in analysing our company’s performance and adhoc projects such as preparing and reviewing projections and other financial analysis. I don’t see myself going back to Audit (which is what CAs generally specialize or are known for) or any of the other branches. Does it make sense to approach the CFA and have the CA / CFA combo. I think the one advantage the CA has given me now is to hopefully go through the reporting/accounting part of the CFA exams with relatively less complication. Anyone here CA & CFA designated that can share their experience or two cents?

yes. there are plenty of CAs who get CFAs. i know plenty. its probably the best combo you could possibly have. better than MBA and CFA.

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yes. there are plenty of CAs who get CFAs. i know > plenty. its probably the best combo you could > possibly have. better than MBA and CFA. Thanks. Just bringing this to the top to get another perspectiev.

SFA_CA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > yes. there are plenty of CAs who get CFAs. i > know > > plenty. its probably the best combo you could > > possibly have. better than MBA and CFA. > > > Thanks. Just bringing this to the top to get > another perspectiev. I’m sure a bright individual like yourself can use the search function :wink: