Has anyones Battery actually ran out?

I have read so many posts on this forum about people taking in excess of 1 calculator to the exam, In one instance I read about someone who had taken 5 calculators or has 6 extra batteries with them… WTF? Also another point I read was that someone timed themselves to put their battery in (days before the exam) so that they would know how long it would take if their Battery ran out in the exam… Seriously,… you have just changed it! Has anyone actually had their battery run out during the exam?

Mine did, but I left the lights on overnight so it was my own fault. A quick jumpstart and it was all good.

I also don’t get the point of bringing more than 2 calculators. I read that the display of the TI BA2+ slowly starts to fade when the batteries start running out, but then you still have about 10 hours of battery life left. This means that as long as the numbers on the display are still clear, the battery life life left should be more than enough for the exam.

nop, never. have an extra battery, never used it. wrote and study like hell for three exams.

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Mine did, but I left the lights on overnight so it > was my own fault. A quick jumpstart and it was all > good. TBH, instead of calculator batteries, I was more worried that my car would fail to start the morning of the test

mine died on me a week before the exam.

People who bring 2 calculators and extra batteries deserve to get smacked Srsly, if the calculator is a source of worry for you, stop pursuing the CFA and get your head checked. I don’t care if its a ‘just in case’ measure, its still stupid

ZeroBonus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > People who bring 2 calculators and extra batteries > deserve to get smacked > > Srsly, if the calculator is a source of worry for > you, stop pursuing the CFA and get your head > checked. > > I don’t care if its a ‘just in case’ measure, its > still stupid Worst post on AF ever? Maybe. I mean, it would be a little silly to bring 2 calcs AND extra batteries, but what’s a TI cost - $35? Pretty cheap insurance policy on your investment in the test, books, classes and time. Plus I actually like having 2 TI’s - keep one at the office and one in my computer bag.

i changed my battery the night before the exam this june. it required advanced engineering skills and robot-like precision in handling miniature screws, tiny cables and other nanotechnological hardware components inside the BAII where the battery is. definitely not recommended to do this during exam time without deep geek experience

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i changed my battery the night before the exam > this june. it required advanced engineering skills > and robot-like precision in handling miniature > screws, tiny cables and other nanotechnological > hardware components inside the BAII where the > battery is. definitely not recommended to do this > during exam time without deep geek experience What if you are level 75 Tech Geek like sublimity, wearing a robe of robotics (+25 nanotechnology skills)?

comp_sci, i sent you an email a while back? how are you man? will shoot you over another message, curious about NYU. :slight_smile:

I brought 2 calcs to every exam. I wasn’t worried about my battery running out necessarily, but rather the more likely event that I drop one and it breaks, I spill a drink on it, someone steals it, I misplace it, a friend has any of the above happen to him/her and needs a calc, or any of the million unknowns out there that could cause me to not have full use of a calculator on exam day. So I just bought a second and put that variable out of mind.

I brought 3 in case someone forgot theirs, I could do a good deed. I had three by coincidence, so why not bring it? Its only like 2 ounces of weight to carry – not a big deal unless you’re a overweight or out of shape or something.

I brought 2 because I was able to develop calculator ambidexterity, allowing me to calculate the answers to 2 question at once. I also had my dentist shape my right maxillary canine so I could hold a pen in my mouth more easily and with less slobber.

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i changed my battery the night before the exam > this june. it required advanced engineering skills > and robot-like precision in handling miniature > screws, tiny cables and other nanotechnological > hardware components inside the BAII where the > battery is. definitely not recommended to do this > during exam time without deep geek experience changing the batteries on these suckers is a science. i did a battery switch prior to LIII. i would’ve hated to have to do a switch while writing the exam. i guess they assume that anyone who owns a BAII also has a set of computer screwdrivers and small enough hands to use them!

I buy a new calculator a couple days before the exam and just bring that one. $35 well spent to have zero worries.

ZeroBonus you get a zero bonus for that remark and may actually be subect to clawback for that remark - you are entitled to your opinion but others are entitled to apply whatever prudent measures they feel they need for their peace of mind and performance - kudo’s sir for “living on the edge” but some who have invested months in preparation choose a back up to be safe.