PMs:you look for what in assistants?

i 'm over the moon cz i have been called in for an interview to be an assistant to a portfolio manger. apparently they are looking for someone with econ and maths background who has either achieved or be working towards the CFA charter. they have also mentioned risk measurement and managenement a few times (which i 've no experience with, being an economist) and (hedging strategies including use of derivatives, again nada) along with anything else you care to share - do you think its a good opportunity - what should i focus on for the interview - if i get it what kind of demands will the role realy entail? thanks a lot! p.s. the company seem to be global, long-term value investors, that focus on asset allocation and secondarily on security selection

The cheap line to “PMs:you look for what in assistants?” is “Me.” - do you think its a good opportunity: definitely - what should i focus on for the interview: keep mentioning your attention to detail, that you are diplomatic and that solving your boss/department problems is your mindset for this role - if i get it what kind of demands will the role realy entail? It will vary. Your boss will ask you to solve things all the time and you have to maintain a cheery disposition - intra and cross departments. If you can do that you will become invaluable and you could get a really decent opportunity going forward or outsized paychecks. Gaining the favour of your boss (and dont forget his boss too) often pays dividends. You will also know what is going on in every other department as all assistants invariably form a shadowy network that only assistants & receptionists can be entrusted into. You will no doubt find out who is sleeping with who (most assistants will not tell you who they themselves are phucking -you will have to use your intuition), who is getting fired, who are the power players (ie the ones you should be nice to) and the such.

^ thanks a lot, great help for sure!

in short: - attention to detail - time management skills - goal oriented - interpersonal communcations - focused on the bottom line (aka getting things done) and most of all - willingness to learn

^ thanks very much!

Be proud of what you can do and honest about what you can’t. If you’re in your twenties like most of us, remember that most 40 and 50 year old people in the workforce view Gen Y as being way too cocky. If you’re interviewing with someone like that, remember that humility will go a long way.

^thanks very much - just broke into the 30’s the other day :wink:

Be enthusiastic, but don’t go overboard and don’t always try to come up with “breakthrough” ideas. This really junior guy I worked with tried so hard to “fit in” among the PM’s, he interrupted people way too much, trying to prove he knew his stuff by cutting people off and attempting to finish their sentences. Tried to prove like he rediscovered sliced bread when something little came up. be enthusiastic, ask questions, don’t talk to pm’s as equals, it’s going to come off wrong

^ thank you very much, all very helpful, will keep in mind, - will let people know straight away how it went on if it went okay (with substantial delay if i sunk)

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >If you’re in your twenties like most > of us, remember that most 40 and 50 year old > people in the workforce view Gen Y as being way > too cocky. If you’re interviewing with someone > like that, remember that humility will go a long > way. This may be the best advice I’ve seen on an interview thread. So true. If they ask you what you don’t like about your co-workers or what your weaknesses are, I always liked saying that I can be impatient or annoyed by some people’s sense of entitlement.