Blue Horseshoe Loves....

Chad - Just thinking we should have some sort of “Seeking Alpha” type of option here. We’re all supposed to be some sort of analysts anyway. It’d be nice to have a familiar place to publish our market musings and gain “followers.” Related note: Until we get an Analyst Forum blogoshere going, we could share our ideas here. An ongoing thread that, at any time, someone can pop in and go on record with there best ideas. So long as we’re representing our own ideas, and not our employers, it should be a good brain dump. If anyone is interested please post your trading ideas below. Remember to post again when you sell (cover). (I hate those threads where the OP doesn’t bother to answer their own question, so I’ll start): SDS 26 Sep 11 Calls - No fundamental analysis needed. I think people are slowly realizing we’re fooked. Even with a possible short term rally, I think you could buy now ($1.40 on 8/4) and still make 20% in the next several days without much trouble. I bought some today at $0.93.

Biotech Plays CRIS MITI Not using options in these. Just accumulating a position in the underlying. These are long-term investments, not trades. Also am long IDCC March 80 Calls. Am short August 80 Calls against it. Once these expire, I will sell Sep 100 Calls against it.

Agreed, I’d really like to hear more about peoples investing ideas on here, not just this sill theoretical test.

CF Industries…

How about breaking the back office up into sub-forums like these? Ticker Talk - A place to discuss investment ideas and strategies. Career Talk - A place to discuss jobs, resumes and searches. Political Talk - A place to discuss politics and political candidates. Water Cooler - A place to discuss anything else (within the community rules). Back Talk - A place to provide feedback and suggestions for AnalystForum.

You forgot CFA vs. MBA talk.

We don’t need more “Back Office” forums. However, it would be nice if AF users could be encouraged to start using the one “Back Office” forum that already exists, rather than creating off-topic threads in the forums designated for CFA-related discussion.

Chad, the idea’s good in principle, but that sounds like a lot of categories to sort though. I think Ticker Talk fits currently into the General forum, and Career Talk seems comfortable there too. Political and Water Cooler also seem to fit together in back office. A lot of what ends up being political talk stuff seems to evolve out of other conversations, like “Do you think the Fed will do QE 3.1415?” starts as “Hard to say, the bond market is pricing in a pi/6 chance,” and within 10 posts ends up as “Those Dems just want to turn our country into the Soviet Union, just like it was under Clinton!!!” Back talk / AF Suggestions is a good addition, I think. That way you (in particular) don’t have to sort through everything to find that stuff.

Maybe “Back Office” should be renamed “Off Topic”. “Back Office” is cute/clever, but it’s likely unclear to new users that this forum is for off-topic discussion, and not just a place for discussion relating to working in a back-office position.

Well, my limit order was filled on my SDS calls at $2.00. Not including transaction costs or taxes, a quick 115% in 24 hours. Not bad though now they’re already at $2.27. Oh well, no need to get greedy. I’ll probably pick up some more SDS calls if I find a good entry point.

I like the BackOffice categories suggested.

except that most of us with analyst roles can’t talk about stocks that are suitable for our clients…

MU 6 Jan 2012 Puts seem like a really good deal to sell. I did a quick crunch on their liquidation using recent 10-Q BS and found the value at $5.37. Thats recognizing value of 80% Receivables, 80% Inventories, 60% PPE, 90% Equity Method investments, 99% Cash. Then deducting 100% total liabilities gets you $5.37 share. The jan 2012 6 puts are bidding for .82. So worst scenario is you get MU shares at net $5.18 …

I’ve been trying to figure out some short term trades over the last couple weeks, but haven’t been comfortable with anything…until today. I’m going to pick up some AG 17.50 Sept puts for $0.45. I’m actually way long AG in my 401k, but short term I think I’ll win here with either continued downward pressure on equities in general, or a short term pullback in silver. Both of which I think are very likely. I lose if QE3 is announced next week. I don’t plan on holding longer than that. Liquidity is a bit of a problem with AG options, but otherwise it’s not a bad deal for such a volatile company.

Sweep the leg- i like the idea, though I try to stay away from gold and silver, I’m not smart enough to know whats going on with them anymore. I’m looking at initiating a position in NXPI within the next few weeks if the stock stays near $15. This company is the industry leader in the Near Field Communications market (mobile payments), owns tens of thousands of patents and partnered with Google in December. If Apple decides to include NFC chips in the iPhone 5 this will be a short term winner, if not I like this as an investment for the next 12 months. This also could be an acquisition target for either of those companies.