mutual fund holdings

Where can I find recent mutual fund holdings? Do they file with the SEC and in that case which form would they use and how do I find it? How often do mutual funds need to publish their holdings?

Monthly, though there’s a month lag. The easiest place to find the entire list of holdings is the fund company’s website…generally. Some are better than others. Top 10 holdings can be found anywhere. Morningstar being the easiest.

Morningstar’s holdings are from 11/30/2010 for the fund SSMIX. I found their top 10 holdings as of 6/30/2011, but not a full listing of their portfolio.

You’re not going to find anyplace that has the full list of holdings updated in real-time or near real-time, as far as I know. Best you can do is find the most recent top ten list and pair it with the most recent quarterly or semi-annual report (which would have the full list) to try and gain a little more insight. Going to SEC Edgar won’t work for two reasons: 1) Plenty of funds own stocks but aren’t up to a position size large enough that it’s got to be disclosed. 2) Even if a fund owns enough of a stock that they have to disclose it with the SEC, you may not be able to see which fund in that fund family owns the company. i.e. if you go to Google’s filings, you find a SC 13 G/A showing that Invesco has a 6% stake in the company, but it doesn’t tell you which Invesco fund the position is held in.

For a small shop like that you may have to call/email them to request it. They’ll give it to you, it’s public information so long as there’s a 30-day lag. Most larger firms will have a funds holdings (all of them) on their website.

I would like to see an example of any firm that externally provides current holdings of a fund, publicly or per request. The most you’re going to find is either a somewhat recent top ten, or detailed holdings with a lag. Think about it. If asset managers would openly publish what their funds’ current holdings are, they would lose their competitive advantage and any tom, dick or harry could simply replicate the fund.

CapeCobra Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would like to see an example of any firm that > externally provides current holdings of a fund, > publicly or per request. > > The most you’re going to find is either a somewhat > recent top ten, or detailed holdings with a lag. > > Think about it. If asset managers would openly > publish what their funds’ current holdings are, > they would lose their competitive advantage and > any tom, dick or harry could simply replicate the > fund. Go to pimco’s website. You can get all 1200 individual holdings of Total Return. All other large asset manager do likewise. I give my firm’s funds’ holding info to other financial professionals every day; it’s retail approved as well. As to competitive advantage, I’m sure you read the part of both of my above posts about the info having to be at least 30 days old.

Mutual funds report portfolio holdings quarterly on form N-Q. The form needs to be filed within 60 days of the func’s fiscal first and third quarter. Some may release holdings more frequently, but they are not required to and they are going to be un-audited. Also, FWIW, per Total Return’s latest filing there are ~7800 unique holdings based on Issuer/Rate/Maturity.