Formula Help

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question or has been answered in the past. So I’ve been studying for about a week now and realized that many of the CFA questions will be based off a formula, but with the variables in different places. I’ve seen this throughout the Quant sections. So basically with one formula, you can find many variables by making a part of the formula independent on one side.

I haven’t studied in years, but does anyone have a guide to what happens with a variable switches to the opposite side of = ?

I obviously know the basics like subtraction/division.

So basically you need to move variables to other sides, or you need to flip them around, numerator/denominator. I’m sure this will be throughout all of the CFA.

So does anyone have a study guide or way to remember what happens to the variables when its location is changed? in Terms of squaring, negative, etc.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

I’m not really sure what it is you are asking… can you give a problem your stuck on, that should provide some clarity. Also, check out khan academy on youtube if you need a refresher course. I checked it out a couple of times early on in my studies.

yes khan academy is nice:

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra

Man, you honestly need to go back and study algebra. All of it.

do not worry, if you need a refresher course in algebra it should go very quickly as you probably know all this stuff but you just forgot about it. Take a book or go on the internet and just check basic algebra rules. As a matter of fact, the CFA curriculum only uses very simple algebra, so you should not have a hard time to get back in shape.