Wallst-training! with Hamilton Lin. Have you tried them?

Just curious if anyone has used their products (modeling classes). If so, what are you thoughts. i’ve seen some sample videos on youtube and Mr. Lin seems like a great instructor.

thanks!

I did a few of his things. The material is decent. Mr. Lin is a bit too into himself and projects that banker douchebag attitude that can fool the uninitiated, but with enough weak geeky jokes to undermine his BSD credentials. I found the material useful, but when he started telling me how if you put extra long significant digits on things, people won’t suspect that you’re just inventing numbers out of thin air, all it really did was make me wonder how much stuff he’s telling me is made up out of thin air.

I did in college. They provided a discount, it was solid…back in spring 2009 though when I was a sophomore and a noob about everything.

Did you guys do his advance LBO/Merger modeling course? How advance is it? So far

1+

.35+ (lol)

Clearly that was a joke! in the real world a small decimal matters ( $1.91 vs 1.91458 ).

No, he was offering “life advice” about what to do when you don’t know the answer to something. His suggestion, make up something that sounds plausible, doll it up a lot, and hope they don’t check. Remember, his background is IB/M&A, not AM.

Yes, there was a wink wink, nod nod, and it was meant to be funny, but there was also a dash of seriousness about it.

what classes did you take from him?

It was a long time ago… I did the LBO modeling one. I did “How to read a 10K,” and I did his “Excel skills” one. The first two were done at NYSSA, the Excel one was done online.

For the LBO one, I had just taken CFA L1 and didn’t really understand the context of what was being presented very well. Today I get the idea that you try to value equity and enterprises using a variety of methods and see whether they converge or give you a spread of valuations. If you’re in a dealmaking context ,you’ll then try to argue for the valuation that is most advantageous yet non outlying for your case. If you are in an investment making context, you’ll generally shoot for the median valuation, unless there is clearly one valuation method that is more appropriate to that company/industry/situation.

he has a “super advance LBO” one! I am struggling with the idea of purchasing his modeling videos just to get a good refresher!!!

I’ve never really done complex stuff just simple DCF for valuing private companies but now my role is more demanding… and although we have modeling experts i feel i should work on these skills in case they throw me a bone.

My last project was a PE deal which I had to ask for assistance from our modeling expert to help model it. I wish i had the skills and didn’t need to ask for anyone’s help.

I think the videos are good for learning. You can back up and go over the points you didn’t get the first time and you get access to them for something like six months so could even go through them several times if you can carve ou the time.

As for how advanced the super advanced one is, I really can’t help you there.

To survive in what he does, he has to project that confidence.

I get that. It just hammers home how you should assume that there are a decent number of lies or deliberate ignorances in pretty much everything finance-y.

Hey Bchad!

Do you built the models from scratch or from a template? I’ve done wall street prep and they provide you with a template. I didn’t like the instructor he wasn’t enthusiastic enough. I went to sleep a couple of times.

It was about 8 years ago, so I don’t remember. I think there were templates, but I also think the “advanced” one was supposed to be from scratch (about the only thing I know about the advanced one). Lin is a reasonably enisiastic presenter. He won’t put you to sleep like “voice-like-novacaine Bob Stalla.”

SUcks that you can’t keep the videos though.

Any one else taken his classes? I am really thinking in taking his classes as a refresher!!!

Any one else taken his classes? I am really thinking in taking his classes as a refresher!!!