Exam room items

Two questions about what I can bring into the exam room.

I am writing level 1 and saw the pencil was the only approved writing insturment. Now I am left handed and like to scratch my ideas in pen so they do not smudge and are easier to write. Will I be able to bring in a pen to the level 1 exam? I understand a pencil is needed to fill in the material.

I noticed they said no food or drink, so I am guessing no water botttles are allowed in the exam room?

I hate to ask but I am student and have become very particular with how I take exams so if I am allowed these items it will help reduce my exam stress.

Cheers,

Muncher

You’re good on the pen. Just make sure you don’t use it on the test.

The water is a no no. They don’t want a spill taking out your booket and the books of others. However, there are big water vats in all the rooms and cups so you can go grab a drink easily during the exam.

Thanks!

water is a mixed bag. some proctors let you keep it under your seat, some won’t.

water on table is definitely no no though.

Yo munchie - if you’re writing in Toronto, be REAL early. Last year guys were bailing out of their cars on the 401 and running on foot to the exam due to traffic. Not sure if its the same place this year but just heads up.

I’m not from Toronto. My impression is elsewhere, including where I’m at, is pretty relaxed. My exam centre was big (hundreds of people) but I honestly rolled in with 2 minutes to spare after napping in my truck. No biggy.

Just thought I’d warn you in case you’re in Toronto though.

^ I heard that it was pretty bad last year. So I chose London as my test center. I’m pretty happy I did as the CFA website says there are 6000 people registered for Toronto.

wtf is going on in TO

^There are tons of Charterholders in Toronto. There are more Charterholders than plumbers. Not even kidding. Canada has an obsession with professional designations. You can’t be anything more than a junior analyst in corporate stuff or in finance without some kind of designation (obviously there are exceptions, I’m making an generalization).

The CFA Charter is different up here. For many not born with the silver spoon it’s a ticket to the next level, whether in corporate, government or on Bay Street. I’m not saying that the Charter will get you into Bay Street. I’m saying it legitimately will give you the ability to be a Manager FP&A for some company, something you cannot do in Canada, in general, without being a CPA, MBA or CFA Charterholder. Americans or others can’t readily understand this. It is a bizarre Canadian thing. Hence the numbers in Toronto. There are 7,500 Charterholders that are members of Toronto CFA Society. It’s the second biggest in the world ex-New York.

If I were in TO, I’d be writing in London or elsewhere as well. I’m in probably the second or third biggest CFA city in Canada and it was not really that crazy here. Maybe 500 writers. But thankfully no traffic craziness.

If you are really in Canada, why didn’t you choose a closer test location ? I don’t know whether I would make a trans Atlantic flight for an exam which already costs me a signifcant fee (comparing to many other exams)

I thought the same then I realised, London, Ontario vs London, England. Guess he was referring to Ontario as flying to England just to sit the exam does not make much sense.

Unless tjack has some Grade A British HCB lined up over here, then it makes sense.

^ haha I was gonna put London, ON but because geo is Canadian I decided against it.

Yeah, I don’t want to scare the OP but I also don’t want this kid flipping out because its 855am and he’s 3km out on the 401 in traffic. Don’t know if he is in TO or not. Just fair warning. Writing in London ON is probably a wise move for a Toronto candidate.

I am writing in Calgary, saw the post on reddit about TO but appreciate the heads up. Anyone have experince writing in Calgary?

TO (Congress Centre) is a mess. Avoid if you can.

Planes landing every 5 minutes, not enough washrooms and only 2 or 3 roads into the parking lot. It’s not even near the Downtown Core.

I heard you can write in Buffalo university or some such with 60 other ppl in a hotel but I’d imagine its too late to change now.

I saw the janitor in my building with L1 books.

Horse parking can be limited, especially if you elect to ride in your chuckwagon instead of saddle.

CFA tests are fun

^ Especially when you’re not writing them.

• infinity