Why isn't CE mandatory after you become a CFA charterholder?

Presumably current members don’t want to take on an additional burden and that’s why it doesn’t pass.  Basically grandfathering laziness.

Given how tough it is to get the charter, my guess is that a CFA charter holder with no CEs is still better qualified to do what they do financially than many other programs that have that requirement. 

I agree that if I were designing a curriculum for a designation like the CFA, it would look better if there were a CE requirement.  But the CFA was not designed in an era when there were many competing designations and so neither had it at the start nor evolved it afterwards due to the first point above. 

I think most charterholders are probably motivated enough to keep up with markets that they do aquire new knowledge to do their jobs. The exceptions probably being very senior people for whom the CFA designation is no longer all that relevant to an evaluation of their competence:  they either have experience and a track record to show it, or they don’t. 

You want a quote?  Haven’t I written enough already???

Schweser's upgraded learning platform and refreshed content are exactly what you need to prepare to pass the CFA® Program exam. Save 10% when you order a Premium Package for a limited time.

Something else to remember–the CFA Charter is not a license to practice.  So they don’t really have any teeth when it comes to enforcement. 

If I don’t do my CPA continuing ed, then the State Board yanks my license.  Ouch.

If I don’t do my Series 7 continuing ed, then FINRA yanks my license.  Ouch. 

If I don’t do my insurance continuing ed, then the state Dept. of Insurance yanks my license.  Ouch.

If I don’t do my CFA continuing ed, then….I still have the giant certificate hanging on the wall, and I can still tell employers that I used to be a charterholder (whatever that’s worth), and I can still probably put CFA on my business cards and CFAI will never really know.  The only thing they know is that I’m going to stop paying dues. 

82 > 87
Simple math.

S2000magician wrote:

higgmond wrote:
S2000magician wrote:
higgmond wrote:
Am I the only one who is asked every year if I’ve completed at least 20 hours of CE when I renew?

No.

Although they take my word for it and don’t verify it, I view it as a 20 hour per year CE requirement.  I’ve never answered “No” though, so I don’t know what happens if someone answers “No”.

I always answer “No.”

I still get all of the CFA Institute e-mails, my account’s not frozen, and they promptly answer my annoying e-mails, so everything appears in statu quo.

Is this still relevant in 2019 and so on Sir?