Bloomberg Stats on CFA shows low payoff

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-08/cfa-payoff-elusive-for-legions-crowding-into-its-grueling-exams

The CFA Exam’s Toughest Question: What’s the Payoff?

The odds of a big immediate payoff appear to be low. About 73 percent of job postings that specified compensation and included a reference to the CFA designation offered a salary below $100,000, according to research by recruiting company Phaidon International.

One reason for the mystery is that the CFA Institute, which generates $260 million in annual revenue while running the tests, doesn’t track it.

The organization stopped asking applicants for data such as job titles and university degrees after the exam’s registration section reached 40 pages, taking candidates roughly 50 minutes to complete, said Steve Horan, managing director of credentialing for the Charlottesville, Virginia-based Institute.

“It’s definitely got a value proposition for both employers as well as employees,” he said. “It’s just that it’s difficult to quantify.”

nearly 25% have compliance / audit / reporting jobs.

“Career advancement/development” was the top motivation cited by candidates who took the June 2015 exams, drawing 37 percent of responses on the Institute’s survey. Another 11 percent said they hoped it would land them a job.

Recruiters were generally less enthusiastic.

“It does have a mild signaling effect to me this one’s a hard worker and is disciplined,” said Adam Zoia, chief executive officer of financial-services recruiter Glocap Search. “I don’t read it as meaning that they are going to be a better investor.”

Somehow I bet most of the CFA holders didn’t dream of working in reporting or compliance. seems like they didn’t get the job they wanted, and just stuck with something in finance.

I’d like to know the percent of job postings in general that specify compensation that are below $100,000. Most $100,000+ jobs don’t specify compensation from my experience looking.

It was obviously a biased article, but depressing nevertheless. I agree that the pay delta is impossible to measure, but the fact that the largest majority of CFAs are in audit/compliance, and some of the quotes from recruiters… thanks for telling me my 1,000 hours of studying gives a “mild” signalling effect of hard work ethic and discpline.

CPA is the way go to…

wonder if I can be the first CFA charterholder to make it in the NBA :slight_smile:

Not too surprising, we all know the CFA is more of an “attaboy” than a academic credential.

The methodology sounds flawed. They should compare two groups of similar academics background, experience, age, etc with and without the CFA charter and see if having one leads to significantly higher earnings, and by how much.

Lmao.

The inbred ‘Hills Have Eyes’ dude that served me my breakfast this morning has his CPA…

its rare for a job posting to have the CFA as a requirement… This idiot at Bloomberg probably included job positings that included (CFA candidate/ progress towards the CFA exam) in his dumb survey.

No one that is a CFA charterholder works for “60k” in the United States, but I hear thats a great salary in India…

And in Germany! I am not kidding.

60k would also be a low salary in Germany. In particular, since you need at least 4 years of work experience. If the job is in any way related to investments or consulting work, I think it would be 70k+.

Mosts jobs I see that reference “CFA” also are mentioning “candidacy in the CFA program”, not necessarily having completed the program. Also, the 25% in audit/compliance is out of a pool of people looking for other jobs. In my experience 100% of candidates in the CFA program that have audit/compliance roles are looking for other jobs. That’s why they’re in the program.

Didn’t read the article but are the samples from the set of all charterholders or from a specific time period.

Because newly minted charterholders are probably likely in the beginning of the career and make less, but what if you sampled all newly minted charterholders today in 20 years? Will the distribution be different?

what if we wake the neighbors with our pillow talk?