One year until I can even register for my CFA level I exam. What to do until then?

Hi guys,

I have 2 years left in my degree and as such I have to wait 1 more year until I can register for the CFA level I exam. As for some background, I’m studying for a Major in Finance, and this coming semester I’m going to be taking a portfolio management course that doubles as the Canadian Securities Course.

I was wondering what else I can do until then to help prepare me for these exams?

In addition to this, I was telling my brother (studying to be an Actuary, has is ASA) about my intentions to pursue the CFA and he told me to use the ‘LevelUp’/‘AdaptPrep’ study notes/program. Any vouches for this over the other ones?

Thanks

You could buy used books and get an idea of the curriculum and type of questions. Other than that, a finance major should be enough background to help you pass when you start preparing eventually. Many candidates register with zero background in finance, and still pass with some hard work.

#EnjoyLife

yep, I had zero background and I passed with 5 mo of study. Enjoy your time on college.

Totally agree with these guys.^

There are a lot more worthwhile things you can be doing in college than prepping for the CFA. Get an internship. Volunteer for research with a professor. Take another couple 400 level classes. Try to get something published. Start a business. These will help you way more starting out than whatever nose you can get ahead on CFA studies. You always have time to prep for the exam closer to the time you will be taking it.

That’s not even to mention other really important things you really should be focused on in college - like developing good friends and relationships, finding new interests and passions, getting involved socially and politically, experimenting with new… experiences. Take it from a guy looking back over 20 years, that’s the stuff that will be meaningful.

God bless these kids that are already into this this early. At that age my biggest achievements were pulling up disgusting couch cushions to find enough change to buy Natty Ice or ramen noodles.

As others have said - enjoy college life and don’t worry about the CFA exam until it is time to register/study. While in the program it will be the only thing you think about for 3+ years.

While in college, try to figure out where you want to be in your career. I think it is rare to know exactly what job you want, but speaking with people in the industry, trying to figure out what role you would enjoy doing and working on a plan to get started on the correct path (internships, 1st job, etc) is crucial.

The CFA designation is a tool to enhance your resume, but it will not guarantee you anything. There are large firms on the street that now consider it a commodity due to the number of people who have the designation. Get your foot in the door, do the grunt work and get on the path to your ideal career.

LOL. I can relate to this.

you can find a significant other and take part in mating rituals before studying takes away from your free time

Relax and enjoy life. It will only get harder and harder.

This. Talk to as many people in the industry. You might consider it “bothering” them, but people love to talk about themselves and dole out knowledge. Buy them a drink after work or something. Or at lunch (if they are in to drinking at lunch on a workday).

Yes, and when those get drunk, maybe you may reach some privileged information as well.