Job experience

Hi, folks,

New to here. Just want to get some general suggestions.

My experience might be a bit weird. I’m in fact a foreign researcher (robotics/engineering) in an scientific institute in Stuttgart. My wife is in economics major and I pick up some interest in finance from her. No intention to show off but I happened to pass CFA I&II and FRM I&II during last 1.5 years.

I of course love my current job in the lab but I still want to gain the necessary job experience for the CFA or even FRM. I can contribute 5~6 hours to whatever chance, even without any payment. But my limitation is apparent. I cannot physically go to other places to work as I have to do research. Maybe this is very naive. Could I ask your kind suggestion about this?

Thanks so much!

If this is the case, why do you even care about the CFA charter?

Well. I think I can do two jobs. Apparantly they help each other when some refreshments are needed.

• CFA Teacher - Corporate Finance role at current company in addition to lab work - Independent financial research - Hacksaw - You have a wife and you want to take on 2 jobs? - You obviously don’t have kids - I like bullet points - What are refreshments…

Retrenchments

The cfa charter was never meant to be a hobby degree for weekend work. It’s a professional qualification to provide structure and rigour to what was a largely an unregulated business.

In the words of Graham: “Those dealing with a Q.S.A. [Qualified Security Analyst] will know he has met certain minimum requirements in regard to knowledge of his field and has professional competence. They will know also that to retain his designation of Q.S.A., the analyst will have to observe rules of ethical conduct which no doubt will become increasingly definite and stringent as time unfolds.” - Analysts Journal, January 1945, https://www.cfainstitute.org/Timeline%20Documents/jan_feb_pointcounterpoint.pdf

You don’t really need a charter unless you work in the industry. And even if you hold a charter it doesn’t mean anything other than that you “have met certain minimum requirements” and (hopefully) comply with ethical standards.

If you want to work in the industry, make the move and get the charter. Otherwise, having passed the exams is a good enough indicator of your financial knowledge.

Not sure how it works in Germany, but if you were here in the US I’d suggest becoming a financial advisor…probably with Primerica. You can do literally nothing but it would count towards your work experience.