CFA Charter Process

Once all 3 levels of the exams are passed, what is the process for getting the charter against your name?

I’ve read the CFA website but would like to get an idea from fellow candidates/charterholders.

I work in a Bank, but not in a direct investment (e.g. Asset Management) role. More so in the Finance/Risk space for Banking/Markets businesses. How would one apply for the charter with this experience? (I have seen others in my group with the charter so I assume it is possible).

Thanks!

I think you should qualify for the charter. If its more than 4 years. All you have to do is follow the simple procedure on cfa institute website. write down details of what you do and have done. get two charter holders to signoff on ur experience…

then u get the CFA charter (obviously once youve paid fees for the institute and the society)

getting the charter against my name?? getting the charter is easy. even back office administrators get their charters. auditors get their charters. you should have 0 issues.

From what I heard few years ago, auditing experience could no longer be counted towards the 4 years reqired.

^ It can. Mine was approved last year.

Paying fee for the Institute is mandatory but not the local society, i.e. you don’t need to be a member of the local society in order to get and maintain your charter. More and more CFA charter holders are joining alternative local institutes which recognize the CFA Charter with full exemption to their own exams, e.g. CISI in the UK. In addition to the CFA suffix, you get MCSI as well without taking extra exams. After one year and certain CPD hours, you can become a Chartered MCSI. MCSI is one of the professional institutes with the Royal Charter. The CFA UK Society has no Royal Charter and used to be called “UKSIP”.

As long as you can tangentially relate your experience to the investment making process, and a reference of your choosing will agree with you, then you will get the charter. Of course this could all change next year.